āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

That was a huge mistake.

Would you believe the only make I kept from that first batch does not crow.

He has maybe 5 times total.

I'm beginning to think he isn't so normal and maybe that's why he doesn't mate all of his girlfriends. It part if the reason why.
I believe it! If crowing is directly related to mating practices and fertility then itā€™s no wonder all of our (chicken) eggs have been 100% fertile. :rolleyes: Loud mouthes get the job done!

Are you referring to the myshire ones? Because I think they are trying to brand a specific color as Egyptian. In most of the literature I have found on coturnix, the "wild" type is called pharaoh or Egyptian.

Okay so:

Wild type = pharoah

Myshires extremely specific sex-linked roux dilute hatches = Egyptian (don't ask me why I hate it)
Yes itā€™s why Iā€™m so confused Sara. They look the same to me on their website??:idunno

Yes itā€™s why Iā€™m so confused Sara. They look the same to me on their website??:idunno

The roux dilute and the "sex link" (which until recently was branded as "Egyptian"- maybe they heard our whinging :lau) are the same color.

The sex link is a specific cross producing only pharoah males and only roux dilute females.

I have never seen the term Egyptian to describe wild type ones, only "pharoah", but I totally believe that you have @Sara L

Colors be all mixed up yo.

As mentioned myshire refers to the roux dilute used for sex link as Egyptian....they are lighter brown and more reddish than pharaoh but both are feather-sexable ā€œwild typeā€ color pattern I will try to get pics of my sex link for reference on Sunday when home

I don't have one next to a wild type/pharoah but here are two "dilutes" - roux dilute on the left (poor dear got picked on a little but I was taking these pics for her buyer and she's in a big aviary with a better sex ratio now) and what I've just been imaginatively been calling "dilute pharoah" on the right.

IMG_20190510_154646776.jpg

Back
Top Bottom