➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Maybe small batches? When i did my first colors i had to off half a dozen lil jerks before the hens would even think about laying.when i got thru those for sure fellas other fellas became apparent and then one i Swore id seen crow Laid.
I think I'm going to go ahead an off all of the tuxes first.

I don't even care if they might be female.

I have made my mind up that I do not every want non feather sexable ones again.

I think I'm going to go ahead an off all of the tuxes first.

I don't even care if they might be female.

I have made my mind up that I do not every want non feather sexable ones again.

Awe. I really like the red kinda pied tux you have :hit

And the colors are fun just need an experienced keeper which you are so id just set a hatch limit. I like to limit myself to small weekly hatches. 22 recently was too many. Taking up three cages and im on the same page dont care boy or girl they gotta go.

View attachment 1939645

45 set. 21 fertile/developed
8 out of 21 screaming

someone tell me that these must be dominant white. White hens with Jumbo Wild roo

3 yellow
5 bleached

The white genes confuse me in that no one has info on which strains carry which and I don't have any to test breed. I think dotted white is dominant too. :idunno

I keep breeders at one male to 5 hens. Fertility was great a couple months ago. Foam everywhere. Zack says the boys slow down at 6 months and these are getting towards 4 months old. Fertility fell off, but I'm blaming the weather, the light and moving coops.

I pull aggressive males as needed. Got a new cage for solitary confinement. May get to try it out. The last male scalped one of his hatchmates. Easy to tell who it was, it was the one crowing all the time and chasing everyone. Put in with the other males for selection, he was mating everyone else. He got unselected for attitude.

Make sure you aren't keeping them too hot.

Separate and spray with vetricyn. The eye looks undamaged. It should heal up ok. Unless he's a jerk, in which case just harvest him now.

Does 2 carrying the "white" gene lead to increased mortality of the embryos? I am/was confused by that topic. :idunno

@RUNuts
Omgoodness, how does one chick scalp another like that? :sick

What exactly is "crowing" when they're little, is it the standing tall & loud chirping thing that some do? :duc

@Texas Kiki
Ouch, what happened to her pretty face? Is it time for rooster tacos? :drool Can she still open/close her eyelid on that side? I've been watching their behavior to make sure they aren't too warm or cool. They're eating, drinking, sleeping & growing:love.

Does 2 carrying the "white" gene lead to increased mortality of the embryos? I am/was confused by that topic. :idunno

@RUNuts
Omgoodness, how does one chick scalp another like that? :sick

What exactly is "crowing" when they're little, is it the standing tall & loud chirping thing that some do? :duc

@Texas Kiki
Ouch, what happened to her pretty face? Is it time for rooster tacos? :drool Can she still open/close her eyelid on that side? I've been watching their behavior to make sure they aren't too warm or cool. They're eating, drinking, sleeping & growing:love.
The aggressive roo grabbed and pulled the others by the head. The one that was injured looked like the whole head skin slipped back. Yuck.

No, they don't crow until close to 8 weeks of age when their little nuts "Drop". Raging hormones. Can't see straight. One thing seems common among species. When everyone goes into rut, things get mean.

The roo in my Set 1 got his clock cleaned also. Pretty nasty wound right between the eyes. They've left him alone for a week without separating them. One of the females had a littler wound in the same location. Haven't seen aggression from anyone in Set 1. Of course, when I'm around, they all run to the rear of the coop. Hide from the giant is a very popular game here.

Cages cleaned, but I still haven't weighed these guys. Where did today go?

At 8PM, 5 yellows, 2 gold and 5 wild ones. After I got everyone settled in the brooder, #13 pops out and wants to know where everyone went. How awkward.

9PM count is 6 yellows, 2 gold and 5 wild. 5 more pips.

Do we count 48 hours from first pip or first hatch?

@Texas Kiki
91A8D025-CED1-4BC6-B6E5-83D165A28D1B.jpeg

The aggressive roo grabbed and pulled the others by the head. The one that was injured looked like the whole head skin slipped back. Yuck.

No, they don't crow until close to 8 weeks of age when their little nuts "Drop". Raging hormones. Can't see straight. One thing seems common among species. When everyone goes into rut, things get mean.

The roo in my Set 1 got his clock cleaned also. Pretty nasty wound right between the eyes. They've left him alone for a week without separating them. One of the females had a littler wound in the same location. Haven't seen aggression from anyone in Set 1. Of course, when I'm around, they all run to the rear of the coop. Hide from the giant is a very popular game here.

Cages cleaned, but I still haven't weighed these guys. Where did today go?

At 8PM, 5 yellows, 2 gold and 5 wild ones. After I got everyone settled in the brooder, #13 pops out and wants to know where everyone went. How awkward.

9PM count is 6 yellows, 2 gold and 5 wild. 5 more pips.

Do we count 48 hours from first pip or first hatch?

Crazy how fast the days go by anymore! I worked in the duck pen today, time to separate/pair them up, & evict a couple of drakes. I never seem to get even close to everything I'd planned done in a day. Are there certain varieties/colors that are more aggressive than others?

Back
Top Bottom