āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

OK, on the topic of My Shire farm video... It is great that Zach was able to join BYC and I am sure his contribution will be valuable. I don't think anyone has bashed him, he himself encouraged people to comment on the video so sharing opinion is what people do (and I am sure Zach won't mind, otherwise he wouldn't ask people to do it). Internet is a place where everybody should be able to express opinion and knowledge and I don't like to keep quiet if I am disagreeing with Zach, Merry, Joe Bloke, anyone.. This is called censorship. And it is exactly for the newbies, hobbyist, like me (and others) why different versions should be shared. After all, (I hope) we do not want this forum to become a platform where only those that have the most money/time share their opinion and the rest keep quiet because we are not professionals.
Well, with all that, again, I am glad more and more people join the thread and help!

On a particular item that I picked on - Tibetan vs. Rosetta. I have posted here a picture of my hen. I was told it is Rosetta. 2 weeks later I posted it here again. I was told it is Tibetan. Then I read in an article true Rosettas have pink toes. Then I read another article that says Rosetta is a sub-species of Tibetan. So at this point, as long as she is only 200grams and lays these 32mm eggs I don't want to spend time identifying her exact color.
She is a Beauty thow

@007Sean "Sometimes when I get home from work in the mornings, I'll have all 5 species of the quail calling all at once...Bob's, Blues, Gambels, Valleys and Mountain, quite a racket! :love"
:barnieMaybe a racket, but also music to your ears as well, right?

@Maiahr "How big is your container?"

:oops:The totes are about 24inX30in,
I've got larger ones that are about 24inX36in. I've also got larger pens outside for when they're older though. Right now I've got them divided up in 3 containers in groupings that I like the looks of, I just don't know who's what yet.:fl

:oops:The totes are about 24inX30in,
This is large enough for 20+ quails. I once had 25+ in 22x22inches cardboard box and they were absolutely happy. i kept them there until they were almost 3 weeks and then they went into cages.

I often use large cardboard boxes for brooders. I put some of these (see picture) on the bottom, then wood shavings. This way even if water spills the cardboard box is preserved. Plus cleaning is SO easy, just take the sheet with the shavings on the top, fold it and throw it away.

Attachments

• tena-sheets-60x90-14.jpg
    tena-sheets-60x90-14.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3
This is large enough for 20+ quails. I once had 25+ in 22x22inches cardboard box and they were absolutely happy. i kept them there until they were almost 3 weeks and then they went into cages.

I often use large cardboard boxes for brooders. I put some of these (see picture) on the bottom, then wood shavings. This way even if water spills the cardboard box is preserved. Plus cleaning is SO easy, just take the sheet with the shavings on the top, fold it and throw it away.
3 weeks!:eek:

I don't think I could keep 20 quail and that size for more than just a few days.

I said 'almost 3 weeks'. They were happy, had space to move around, eat and drink.. then they were moved out. If I send you a picture of how people breed Coturnix here you will be shocked. 10-15 matured in a cage 40x20 inches.
Don't show me. I'll die.

I said 'almost 3 weeks'. They were happy, had space to move around, eat and drink.. then they were moved out. If I send you a picture of how people breed Coturnix here you will be shocked. 10-15 matured in a cage 40x20 inches.

Thats normal here too for the commercial battery cages, most of us just dont like it and as backyard hobbiest we can afford to offer them better living conditions. They are our food after all and one of the points in my farm is to offer my food the best quality of life possible.

Back
Top Bottom