➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I want to put one big dark crowing male in a cage with my 3 homegrown laying hens but the cage is only 2 ft by 2 ft and I'm having a hard time trying to cram just four quail in there.

I was supposed to try this last night but I chickened out. I might try it today otherwise the poor dude is going to get eaten.

But he is huge. He's the biggest quail I have ever had and I really really want to keep him.

I want to put one big dark crowing male in a cage with my 3 homegrown laying hens but the cage is only 2 ft by 2 ft and I'm having a hard time trying to cram just four quail in there.

I was supposed to try this last night but I chickened out. I might try it today otherwise the poor dude is going to get eaten.

But he is huge. He's the biggest quail I have ever had and I really really want to keep him.

U gotta put him on a scale then we need a picture, or it didnt happen :p

U gotta put him on a scale then we need a picture, or it didnt happen :p
That's another thing I'm trying to figure out how to do...weigh him without him flying away.

I need to find a large enough container yet small enough to fit on the scale so I can close him in it.

Then it's settled! Ya keep him! :yesss:
I'm so worried that he's going to kill my girls or they're going to kill him.

That's another thing I'm trying to figure out how to do...weigh him without him flying away.

I need to find a large enough container yet small enough to fit on the scale so I can close him in it.
Weigh a sock, stuff him in it, then weigh it again. Subtract weight of the sock and you have his weight. :D

I have 6 in my 2'x2' coops. OK, they are only 3.75 square feet, but the 6 are getting along. Except for that little love peck someone gave the rooster in Set 1. He is getting better.

To weigh, after much contemplation, get a small amazon box. Shove subject quail in. Tape it shut. Add to scale and wait for quail to settle long enough for a good reading. Repeat.

They won't hold still no matter how many time you explain the process to them.

And another thing, I am feeding and watering in the dark because they are growing that fast. Had one jump out. I put the food down, close the coop and grab it. Get everything settled, turn around and there is another one on the ground looking around. What? Grab that one and return it to coop and will be wondering for the rest of the day 1) how did it magically get out (I saw only one in the jail break) and 2) if one got by me, how many more are wondering around in the big scary world?

In short, all the quail are out and I just don't know it yet.

Back
Top Bottom