āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I haven't been posting for a while and everything is going well with my quails. They are doing fine in the quails tractor (a bottomless cage outside) and so far no predators have attacked them. On a couple of occasions one or two female quails have managed to escape but my male Leghorns chicken catch them immediately and are trying to mount them so no difficulty find them. The winter hasn't been that cold yet, though it dropped down to -5C.
So I was recently given 3 quails which a neighbor didn't want. 2 females almost dead, severely injured by a male... And my neighbor gave me the bad male too. After a week on their own on a green grass and good food, the two females are recovering well. I am now slowly integrating with my other females. Neither is laying eggs and they are 4 months old. One of the almost dead females must be a Jumbo. She is 320grams, her eye has almost recovered, but I don't know what to do with the other two problems she has - the foot and the yellow skin around the vent. I haven't seen such yellow skin on my other females... What do you think is this yellow?

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_115006.jpg
    IMG_20191218_115006.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20191218_114950.jpg
    IMG_20191218_114950.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20191218_114932.jpg
    IMG_20191218_114932.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 6
My rooster is a Barred Rock Bantam, and all his chicks have a very dominant comb from hatch. I'm glad the cockerels have stepped up their game, I want a little variety in the hatches.
View attachment 1983603 View attachment 1983608 View attachment 1983605 View attachment 1983609
All from different hatches.
Hmm, if the hens don't have barring, then the black chicks you get with him as the daddy should be sex linked, I think. Girls will have white head spot and boys will not. He's a handsome rooster. :)

I haven't been posting for a while and everything is going well with my quails. They are doing fine in the quails tractor (a bottomless cage outside) and so far no predators have attacked them. On a couple of occasions one or two female quails have managed to escape but my male Leghorns chicken catch them immediately and are trying to mount them so no difficulty find them. The winter hasn't been that cold yet, though it dropped down to -5C.
So I was recently given 3 quails which a neighbor didn't want. 2 females almost dead, severely injured by a male... And my neighbor gave me the bad male too. After a week on their own on a green grass and good food, the two females are recovering well. I am now slowly integrating with my other females. Neither is laying eggs and they are 4 months old. One of the almost dead females must be a Jumbo. She is 320grams, her eye has almost recovered, but I don't know what to do with the other two problems she has - the foot and the yellow skin around the vent. I haven't seen such yellow skin on my other females... What do you think is this yellow?
Foot looks like bumblefoot to me. You should be able to treat by soaking in Epsom salt bath, there's good threads on byc about treating bumblefoot.

Dunno about the yellow skin, I haven't seen that before but I'm mostly hands off my quail. Does it look like irritated skin or just a different color?

Do quail get "fowl pox"?:confused:
Hmm, if the hens don't have barring, then the black chicks you get with him as the daddy should be sex linked, I think. Girls will have white head spot and boys will not. He's a handsome rooster. :)
I was thinking his chicks should be Sexlinked. He is a good rooster, looks out for all the girls & his offspring.:love

Can you get a picture of the whole bird...the sick one?

Back
Top Bottom