➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

So I’m getting close to feather sexing my recent batch and I think it will be about split half and half male and female. :fl

Next I’ll have to decide which male to keep. I only have one of Wild, Egyptian, pearl, falb fee and autumn amber. I have a couple Italians. Only some will be male obviously. Anyone have suggestions on which color to keep for the male if possible? I’d like to do a homegrown hatch from these and still get some color variety. I know pretty much nothing about color genetics.:hmm

🐤Status on day 18.5 of cotunix incubation in Germany ...

110 eggs insert
94 made it into Lock Down
70 hatched till now
That is good, till now. Can only get better ;)
I do give late ones always a chance ... till day 21

So far
1 spread leg
2 kink claws
... are the problem cases.

The spread leg is already taped, for the kink claws we'll see.

Here we are 🐤

All not new... but every time so touching.
I ❤ quails
Guten Nacht,
Do you have any issues using the heating plate? Several of us have tried, but the quail get too cold. I went back to using lights to keep the little bumblebees warm enough. Interested in you experience.
So I’m getting close to feather sexing my recent batch and I think it will be about split half and half male and female. :fl

Next I’ll have to decide which male to keep. I only have one of Wild, Egyptian, pearl, falb fee and autumn amber. I have a couple Italians. Only some will be male obviously. Anyone have suggestions on which color to keep for the male if possible? I’d like to do a homegrown hatch from these and still get some color variety. I know pretty much nothing about color genetics.:hmm
I'd keep the largest. Are you keeping for meat or pets? The Wild type would be basis for everything.

Guten Nacht,
Do you have any issues using the heating plate? Several of us have tried, but the quail get too cold. I went back to using lights to keep the little bumblebees warm enough. Interested in you experience.
I'd keep the largest. Are you keeping for meat or pets? The Wild type would be basis for everything.
I’m keeping for eggs and as a hobby in general. All will be culled either at maturity when there are too many or at the end of the season. I’ve overwintered twice and decided not to do it again.

So I guess my main goal for this season is just to enjoy a few different colors since I haven’t done that before. If I use a wild type male will it just override everything and give me a whole batch of wild with some hidden color genes?

🐤Status on day 18.5 of cotunix incubation in Germany ...

110 eggs insert
94 made it into Lock Down
70 hatched till now
That is good, till now. Can only get better ;)
I do give late ones always a chance ... till day 21

So far
1 spread leg
2 kink claws
... are the problem cases.

The spread leg is already taped, for the kink claws we'll see.

View attachment 2114167

The first batch is going in the chick home ...

View attachment 2114170

Little sleepy bumblebee 🥰

View attachment 2114175

Here we are 🐤

All not new... but every time so touching.
I ❤ quails
I was a big fan of the heat plate until my most recent hatch. I lost almost half my 3ish day olds before I figured out they weren’t staying warm enough. I think the room temp was lower than for past hatches - probably 60s instead of 70s.

Does it work well for you?

The heat plate may not be a good fit for quail because they're so small. They need their backs to touch it. Some people I've read have complained that the quail don't crawl under the heat plate. I have talked to people who have used under-bedding heat mats with success. They run them with a reptile thermostat if I'm remembering correctly.

The really important thing is to watch your quail carefully. If they're lethargic, they may be too hot or too cold. A lot of people I've read say they use an old-fashioned incandescent light bulb for their quail--not an LED, not a heat lamp--just a bulb that gets hot when it's lit. I think a lot will depend on where the quail are brooded. I brood my birds (no quail so far) in the garage. It's heated, but not as warm as the house--50-55° usually. I turn it up to 60-65 for a couple days for brand new babies. I give them a brooder plate plus a non-illuminating reptile bulb in front of the brooder where their food is for the first two-three days, depending on how they behave.

If they stay huddled under the plate all the time, I figure they need the reptile bulb for a little longer. If they run around all day and only use the brooder plate to hide from me :lau then it might be getting to be time to move them outside.

The heat plate may not be a good fit for quail because they're so small. They need their backs to touch it. Some people I've read have complained that the quail don't crawl under the heat plate. I have talked to people who have used under-bedding heat mats with success. They run them with a reptile thermostat if I'm remembering correctly.

The really important thing is to watch your quail carefully. If they're lethargic, they may be too hot or too cold. A lot of people I've read say they use an old-fashioned incandescent light bulb for their quail--not an LED, not a heat lamp--just a bulb that gets hot when it's lit. I think a lot will depend on where the quail are brooded. I brood my birds (no quail so far) in the garage. It's heated, but not as warm as the house--50-55° usually. I turn it up to 60-65 for a couple days for brand new babies. I give them a brooder plate plus a non-illuminating reptile bulb in front of the brooder where their food is for the first two-three days, depending on how they behave.

If they stay huddled under the plate all the time, I figure they need the reptile bulb for a little longer. If they run around all day and only use the brooder plate to hide from me :lau then it might be getting to be time to move them outside.
Mine love the brooder plate and are zooming like crazy

I forgot how much baby quail stink! My two and a half week olds are going outside tomorrow.
I wish it were warm enough here. Sixty-something down to the thirties the next day, up to the fifties... :he As it is, I removed the light for good today.
yeah i put my 3+ week olds out and I’ve lost 2 so far 😭 one died in a”pile-up” near the heater, and 1 mysteriously in the waterer today?.? neither of which was the runt that i didn’t expect to make it!

Back
Top Bottom