➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

As I was feeding my birds this afternoon, I noticed a few birds were missing, so I went looking to see if something had happened to them....nope, just holding tight on their nests.
So, for all those that ask, "will a Bobwhite go broody?" Here's your answer...not all birds will and not all the time but they will if given the right habitat and environment.

20200621_204336.jpg

20200621_204324.jpg

20200621_204303.jpg

First time hatching! I put 31 quail eggs in the incubator today! Eggs are local pickup.

Incubator is a lightly used Brinsea Octagon Advance I got for a steal off Facebook marketplace. Temperature is set for 37.5°C and I have a Mercury thermometer inside to double-check temp is correct. Humidity is set at 40%. I will up to 65% for lockdown.

Also trying out Hatch-a-Batch and Hatch Keeper apps
IMG_20200621_191843_646.jpg
to see which I prefer!

I just messed whith him again and it's definitely broken judging by behavior, unfortunately i also found out that I do not trust myself to hold onto a miniscule struggling quail chick while simultaneously pressing a broken foot into place and taping securely. Ended up taping it in its current shape to a piece of cardboard, but luckily that seemed to help tremendously whith just that. He's definitely in pain judging by his heavy quick breathing but is still eating and drinking. Don't want to try anything else and worsen the issue or cause more pain given its tiny heart. Could I possibly (as horrible as it will sound) rebreak or reshape his foot later on at like a week old or no? It think if I honestly tried now he'd go into shock and die, just putting the tape on his foot currently had him acting like he was gonna pass out so I don't think I can reset it whithout a large risk factor at the moment.
I would straighten it out on the cardboard. If you don't, you will probably have to cull it. In my opinion, you have a choice of getting it to straighten out now and maybe/maybe not succeed (and have the chick die), or have to cull it later.

I'm not a vet, though, and you're the one who is there and can see it, so it's up to you.

I put five chicks outside today to see how my adult hens would react to them. They were separated by a fence of course, just look, no touch. It went really well, curiosity on both sides and no aggression. My most docile hen, Fish, joined the little ones for a while. If it wasn't for the size difference...

Patience...:barnie

Unfortunately the youngest isn't going to make it :( I reset his for last night and he did well only to backslide over night, the pain was to much making him not use it/simultaneously cause his whole leg to stiffen up, and now he can't get up at all, not to mention he has since stopped eating due to pain although he'll take water when at face level. Tried to set his foot again although I think he's beyond help, and put him back in the Bator whith feed so if he passes on he's comfortable and has food and water up to that point. Sad to lose him whithin days of hatch, I still don't know how his foot got injured, but the other 4 are super healthy and active so hopefully this will be my only loss. Also Quilliams done being in the Aviary he says, now sleeping below the loft door out in the open 🤦 I put in cover and plants and his baby toy to make him more comfortable but he's not so keen.

Unfortunately the youngest isn't going to make it :( I reset his for last night and he did well only to backslide over night, the pain was to much making him not use it/simultaneously cause his whole leg to stiffen up, and now he can't get up at all, not to mention he has since stopped eating due to pain although he'll take water when at face level. Tried to set his foot again although I think he's beyond help, and put him back in the Bator whith feed so if he passes on he's comfortable and has food and water up to that point. Sad to lose him whithin days of hatch, I still don't know how his foot got injured, but the other 4 are super healthy and active so hopefully this will be my only loss. Also Quilliams done being in the Aviary he says, now sleeping below the loft door out in the open 🤦 I put in cover and plants and his baby toy to make him more comfortable but he's not so keen.
Have you thought about ending its suffering? If you know it's not going to make it, it might be kinder to cull it now.
1592846383374.gif

Where is Quilliam, then? Free ranging?

Five out now! More hatching. One egg seems to be leaking a sort of gross fluid that is very concerning. I don’t want to mess with it this early in the hatch so I’ll leave it for now. Here’s some fluffy chick pics from the three that have made it to the brooder!
E5384BF6-A15E-499B-8DA5-6085389ABEFA.jpeg

92E9AFB3-CC6F-4A5D-9138-17918618B17E.jpeg
I had to cull a few from the last batch. Better to not let them suffer.

Back
Top Bottom