➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

They aren't gamy because you process them immediately and don't carry them around all day with their guts still in them.
Yes that makes sense too.....and probably the reason many hunters do “sportsman style” processing of just breasting out birds??? There’s also the method of hanging until the tail feathers fall out prior to processing......I’m guessing that method would produce a more gamey flavor

Im a wimp with gamey meats, I don’t like dark meat chicken, I don’t really like quail, which is why I’m working on making a healthy double silver line, when I processed my extra male, he was as light pink inside as chicken breast and was not gamey at all. I want to be able to raise meat I’ll eat, and I can’t have chickens in my town.
View attachment 2677596
this is chicken breast on top, double silver left and regular quail right
The color of the meat tends to be lighter in all lighter colored coturnix but I’ve not really noticed a difference in taste. Bobs have white meat, but I’ve not attempted any yet because of the additional grow-out. I raise Cornish X chickens now for meat but our ordinances are enforced by complaint only and Cornish are very quiet and grow out quickly so if I were to get caught there is high probability that they would be big enough to process by the time I had to remove them anyway.

So far I have 17 K dale chicks out of 36 eggs in lockdown. No blacks so far, but I’m still hoping.

710E6993-78CA-4A3A-81C5-88A4BBD9F200.jpeg

I’m up to 28/35 (I’m pretty sure 1 quit late) k dale eggs hatched, no blacks yet though, but there’s still 7 eggs to go.

It looks like several pharaohs, @Enthusiast do you know, will they be normal pharaohs, or develop into something else?

AFF8A3E9-AC9C-4DCA-B11B-00267372EC3A.jpeg

I’m up to 28/35 (I’m pretty sure 1 quit late) k dale eggs hatched, no blacks yet though, but there’s still 7 eggs to go.

It looks like several pharaohs, @Enthusiast do you know, will they be normal pharaohs, or develop into something else?

View attachment 2681473
Pansy fair

View attachment 2681473
Some will likely be normal, others will be sparkly, hetero blau or pansy carriers. 1s in between Italian and wildtype will be calico

Pansy fair

Some will likely be normal, others will be sparkly, hetero blau or pansy carriers. 1s in between Italian and wildtype will be calico
Thank you! I had noticed the in between ones and I was wondering how they would turn out, I was hoping calico.

Do you know what type of gray the light gray ones are, such as SSC, lavender, etc? I’m hoping for a non SSC gray to cross into my snowies so I can have all grays without producing double silvers.

Last questions, unless something crazy pops out, I promise, after this I’ll be surprised

They are all so big compared to my standards, no birth defects or assists, good and healthy, thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom