➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

35846535-A938-4D3F-91D3-D0B25266044D.jpeg

This arrived today!!! Thanks @Kiki I can’t wait to use it!!!!

Incubation day 8 (I think?). Candled for the first time today. There were a lot of of infertile yolkers from my own quails, but the rest (10) are developing nicely and no quitters. The jumbo eggs I had shipped to me on the other hand only had 2 that are still visibly viable. Many obvious quitters with blood rings which I removed. Not sure whether it was the shipping or my incubation method... oh well.

I would like to pick your brains on why I have so many (8/18) infertile eggs. Could it be the weather (20s)? The age (16 weeks)? Or the Ratio....? Currently 1:3 with solid silver tux male on a silver solid, a silver pharaoh tux and a rosetta/tibetan(?) females. I see the male mount the females allllll the time. Honestly I'm looking to eliminate this male eventually due to his extreme dominance tendencies D:

Last edited:
Incubation day 8 (I think?). Candled for the first time today. There were a lot of of infertile yolkers from my own quails, but the rest (10) are developing nicely and no quitters. The jumbo eggs I had shipped to me on the other hand only had 2 that are still visibly viable. Many obvious quitters with blood rings which I removed. Not sure whether it was the shipping or my incubation method... oh well.

I would like to pick your brains on why I have so many (8/18) infertile eggs. Could it be the weather (20s)? The age (16 weeks)? Or the Ratio....? Currently 1:3 with solid silver tux male on a silver solid, a silver pharaoh tux and a rosetta/tibetan(?) females. I see the male mount the females allllll the time. Honestly I'm looking to eliminate this male eventually due to his extreme dominance tendencies D:
So, you have a silver with two silvers and a rosetta? The silver to silver could be the problem. If you breed silver to silver, you have a good chance of getting a lethal gene combination. Not only do you have few hatch, but you have a higher chance of deformities in the ones that do make it.

So, you have a silver with two silvers and a rosetta? The silver to silver could be the problem. If you breed silver to silver, you have a good chance of getting a lethal gene combination. Not only do you have few hatch, but you have a higher chance of deformities in the ones that do make it.
I read that might be an issue :/
Do you know how myshire farms manage to circumvent this problem?
They claim that their stock will breed 60% true, which means that they are selling the birds for breeding purposes too right?

I read that might be an issue :/
Do you know how myshire farms manage to circumvent this problem?
They claim that their stock will breed 60% true, which means that they are selling the birds for breeding purposes too right?
I believe Zack mixes in wild types with them every other generation or so. I'm not sure, but I think he has a video on them. I stopped breeding the silvers because it was just too heartbreaking to have to cull the little albinos.
PXL_20210811_132712937.jpg

Back
Top Bottom