āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Is that with the hammer drill holes, or the regular drill ones? The screws I put in without the plastic inserts were well-anchored already, even tighter than when I drill into wood.
Either way. The screws cause the plastic to swell into the hole making an excellent fit. It keeps the cement from crumbling.

Last edited:
Oh, the things we'll do for good quail egg storage:

Attachments

• PXL_20240228_171844605.jpg
    PXL_20240228_171844605.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 15
Is the panic is coming around again? Got an email out of the blue from someone who wants 3-4 dozen quail. I don't advertise, just blog here and there, and the feed store has my name. Anyhow, this is a first for me -- this quantity for immediate sale. I also don't have many hatching eggs. Between a quail that wanted to hoard them all and two recent hatching egg buyers. . .this has been going on at a rate full-time breeders manage.

I've got a batch of celadon layers just coming into lay. Tonight as I was out topping up water I see one of the hens with what looks like a bloody mass hanging out of her vent.

Upon closer inspection, it's an egg that was most of the way out but somehow dried to the tissue of her vent, causing a partial prolapse as it pulled it out of the vent.

I prepared a soaking container and tried to gently dunk her but she thrashed around and stuck her face under the water a couple times.

The egg came loose pretty easily, I was surprised. Even more surprised when I gently pushed the tissue back into the vent and it went with no trouble and stayed. So hopefully it stays in. But now I'm going to have to watch to see that she didn't give herself pneumonia by inhaling water.

I've got a batch of celadon layers just coming into lay. Tonight as I was out topping up water I see one of the hens with what looks like a bloody mass hanging out of her vent.

Upon closer inspection, it's an egg that was most of the way out but somehow dried to the tissue of her vent, causing a partial prolapse as it pulled it out of the vent.

I prepared a soaking container and tried to gently dunk her but she thrashed around and stuck her face under the water a couple times.

The egg came loose pretty easily, I was surprised. Even more surprised when I gently pushed the tissue back into the vent and it went with no trouble and stayed. So hopefully it stays in. But now I'm going to have to watch to see that she didn't give herself pneumonia by inhaling water.
She'll probably be fine, but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep an eye on her.

Just hatched just over 50 Jumbo Browns and Whites with another 50 to 60 to hatch in next 2 weeks. Replacing all my year-old laying stock and setting up some new breeding groups. All hatched eggs are from my original birds from JMF lines, Browns from AJs. Whites from Southwest Game Birds, and Browns and Whites from K.C.Q... Been happy with all the lines but my Browns from AJs. outperform the others in final size/weight and egg size. Looking forward to crossing the lines this round to broaden my gene pool. Things have been going very well with the Quail so far.
All my new groups/lines from hatching are doing well and all laying. Going to give them a few more weeks and will check fertility and hatch rate in eggs. I am very happy with all other results so far.

Iirc my December hatches ended up with...four adults? The chicks from our eggs just kept dying for, as far as I can tell, no reason.

We've since culled the male and ordered eggs from Thieving Otter Farms - 60, but I didn't count how many we actually got. Supplementing with our own quail eggs (now from new males) and I've filled up both incubators...I think we have 80-90 in there, since the Manna Pro has space for 44 and the Brinsea has room for 40. Welp. Assuming half hatch and half are males, we're going to have to expand soon...

I set 41 calico fee eggs on 17th. They're all from my own birds, so I will hopefully have a decent hatch rate.

I have an order for 4 dozen hatching eggs next month and probably another 5 dozen coming up pretty soon.
It's getting crazy like it's 2020 all over again! I have 39 incubating but 7 look like duds. Here's how I'm setting them up these days.

Each set of eggs gets a "nest" in the incubator. That way, when one hatches, it rests until it's ready to get move, then exits the nest, leaving the rest of the eggs undisturbed until they're ready to hatch. I'm happy with the outcome. It prevents trauma to those chicks working so hard to get out, only to be spun around by earlier hatchlings wobbling on the mat.
1711043362362.png

Back
Top Bottom