1"x1" welded wire VS Raccoons/coyotes/foxes/cats

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Ok. I have nearly completed a house for my, soon to be delivered, ducks. I used 1"x1" welded wire on the porch portion of the house. After reading some of the posts in this section I am doubting whether or not it will hold up. We do have raccoons, foxes, coyotes, and cats around our area. Should I add another layer of the welded wire slightly offset from the first? I do intend to add more screws and washers to secure the welded wire better. I will post a picture so that you can see what I am talking about.

76564_duck_house_4.jpg

They will be locked up at night and able to free range during the day and allowed on a pond that is also inhabited by 50+ wild Canadian Geese. We have cats, fox, coyotes, and raccoons, and an occasional hawk.

A big coon will either reach through the 1 X 1 wire, or rip it open. They are incredibly strong. I caught a big one in a live trap last summer, and it nearly demolished the 1/2" wire. Took me a whole day to reinforce it again.

So what is the best way deter 'break-ins'? Add some heavy duty livestock panels? I can't put a permanent structure or run because we are currently renting our place. That is why I kinda went with my current concept......it can be somewhat easily moved.

Hardware cloth will keep those little paws out, just make sure it's really well attached.

In your other thread about this duck house you said a clip so the girls could let them out in the morning- be aware that raccoons can undo latches and clips as well as humans can. If not better!

Beautiful duck house!

I've always had good luck with the heaviest 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth we could get on our tractor and coop openings. Some places these days sell it made with lighter gauge wire, so it's cheaper, but you want the heaviest gauge you can get. Sorry, I don't remember what gauge ours is.

Make sure that every edge of the wire is attached to a secure board with wood screws. We use the washer method, too. We also use wood screws to put the wood parts together, so things can't be pulled apart. Also, to attach hardware, so it can't be pulled off.

That's looking really cute!
big_smile.png

I just want to say that your coop is beautiful!!! Yeah- do something like put more welded wire offset or 1/2 " hardware cloth. I have no experience with raccoon problems. Weasels, however, I have read will be able to easily get through a 1" opening. They happily kill chickens.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom