1"x1" welded wire VS Raccoons/coyotes/foxes/cats

Very nice looking and well built.We can tell that you put a lot of good effort on building it.

The improvements that I would make.
1/2" hardware cloth with many more screws holding it in place. Raccoons are quite adept at destroying and ripping through weak materials. I often use 2 layers of hardware cloth separated by a 3/4" board.
Also use better latches. If a 2 year old can open it then a raccoon can open it. I use ones where you can lock them with a padlock. The locks don't necessarily have to be bullet proof but I have yet to meet a raccoon that can pick a lock.

The same rules apply for a run although with them you can often times use an electric fence. Next to fast moving lead nothing gets the point of staying away nearly as effectively as a shock to the ole paws.

I called my local hardware store and the have 19 gauge 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth for $0.99 running foot on the 24" inch wide stuff. Would it be alright to put the 1/2" hardware cloth over the existing 1" x 1" welded wire? Or just take it down?

Quote:
Have to say I disagree. The gauge of the wire will make a significantly greater difference than the size of the openings. Likewise the method of attachment to the house will make a huge difference. Most of the cage wire (such as the 1x1) is considerably heavier than the hardware cloth I see.

Sonoran Silkies - I was thinking of either a 3/8" Quick Link or an Aluminum Spring Snap from Lowes to help lock it up for the night. The latches are secured with screws.

Last edited:
The locks on my coop consist of a galvanized safety hasp locked with a carabiner instead of an actual padlock (no combo to remember and no key to lose).

eggrarian - that is what I was thinking for a lock. I already have the hasp mounted.

If you use welded wire I suggest you be sure to mount it so the welds are on the outside. That way anything trying to force its way in will be pushing against the wire rather than the welds--they will give way.

Well, I figured I had better be safe than sorry. I added 1/2" x1/2" 19 gauge welded wire over top of the existing 1" x 1" welded wire on the porch and added twice as may screws to secure it. It looks fairly substantial and predator proof. The real test will come in upcoming months.

Back
Top Bottom