2 chicks squinting eyes

Kgates

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2024
Hello I have 2 bantam Easter eggers that are 9 weeks old, this morning I noticed 2 are squinting one of their eyes each. I opened the eye and it’s just really watery no redness or snotty discharge. I’m wondering if they got this from pecking each other bc these 2 girls peck at each other when I put them up at night. But there are a few other things I’ve done this week that I’m worried could have caused it. I brought some large sticks from a fallen tree in my yard and put them in their coop to play on, I also got a new feeder and waterer (could they be getting sick from it like the paint poisoning them, it has a cute little logo on it) and they did get rained on a little a few days ago when the rain started an hour before my weather app said it would) I immediately ran out in the rain and brought them all inside to dry off and stuck them back in the brooder with heat on. I’m just so worried I could have caused this and want to know what to avoid for the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 3
I would examine the eyes for any injury, debris, bubbles or foam, or crusty drainage under the eye. Let us know what you see. You can flush the eyes with saline or eye wash. If there is crusty drainage or bubbles in the eye, you can also apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin 2-3 times per day.

I would examine the eyes for any injury, debris, bubbles or foam, or crusty drainage under the eye. Let us know what you see. You can flush the eyes with saline or eye wash. If there is crusty drainage or bubbles in the eye, you can also apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin 2-3 times per day.
I don’t see any visible damage/ scratches, or redness just a bit watery. And no bubbles or drainage. I washed their eyes out with saline but I’ll go put neosporin on it. Is that safe to go directly into their eye or should it just go around it?
I also have erythromycin and neopolybac ointments on hand would either of those work?

Back
Top Bottom