2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Liz, good luck with stealing their eggs. FYI, I would not put a dummy egg in nest. So long as there is an egg in the nest, the goose may not leave. Serv, Thanks! I am sooooo nervous! I had one white egg quit, so I have 4 going into hatching mode now (2 whites/2 dewlaps). :fl In the meantime, my surprise set of goslings are growing like weeds.
Thanks on the dummy egg. I think I'll wait a couple wks before breaking up the nest. There's about 28-30 eggs and the dedicated one starting sitting full time the WK of 4/17. So, I'll give it to 5/28 to be sure. They're probably not fertile, but I don't want to chance it. She looks in good health and is eating and drinking. Thanks again Iain

8geese, glad to hear your goslings are doing well. Best of luck on Ethel's hatch.

Liz, so long as your goose is eating/drinking then I would not worry about busting up nest. However, be prepared for the stank that comes from exploding bad eggs.
sickbyc.gif

It looks like I will be hatching at least one baby in the next 24-48 hours. Yay! I have a huge dewlap baby (which I believe will be a grey boy) working on external pip; one white has internally pipped and a 2nd white is working on internal pip.
fl.gif

My last Cotton Patch egg is on day 30. and has shown no movement for a few days. I think it died. The eggs were shipped from California, and despite the great packaging from the seller, they all had damaged air cells.

This morning we drove a little over an hour away and purchased/rescued two goslings. A Cotton Patch gosling, and an African/Cotton Patch mix. I purchased/rescued the two youngest ones. One hatched yesterday, and the other this morning. I wanted to take them all, but only have planned to have two.

The entire place was unkept, with debris/misc. junk everywhere. I didn't see water for the adult geese. It is the type of place that nothing is done right because of laziness, apathy, ignorance, and stupidity.

In the barn was a sick chicken laying on it's side that she put back in it's cage, with an empty water dish. I'm concerned about that now, since I have chickens, but I do not wear my out in the public shoes ever on my property out back.

Ironically, the seller is heavily involved in a dog rescue!! Sadly, people with these types of habits do not change even if they lose all their animals/poultry to sickness.

The two are now in a clean place, with clean water, and food, resting. I hope the others are sold soon.

8geese, glad to hear your goslings are doing well.  Best of luck on Ethel's hatch.

Liz, so long as your goose is eating/drinking then I would not worry about busting up nest.  However, be prepared for the stank that comes from exploding bad eggs.  :sick

LOL, Looks like I may have to buy a gas mask. As soon as I learn how to take pics on this smart pH, I'll send a pix o her. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom