48+hours after pip - call ducks NEED HELP!

aleanamarie

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
Banner Elk, NC
I have two call duck babies that one pipped on its own over 48 hours ago, and one that pipped internally and we just helped him with the external pip. They haven't made any progress. So, this morning I followed the "assisted hatech step by step" I stopped when I saw blood, stopped the bleeding and upped humidity with a wet cloth in a ceramic bowl since the incubator wasn't keeping it high enough. Was at 55% got it to 70% they almost seemed vac sealed to the white sac. It was hard and dry. Think humidity got too low. I have since had to leave the house so I kept the humidity up and left them alone, giving them time to rest and do their own thing. They were talking and wiggling. Please any info is appreciated!
This is my first hatch and I'm terrified please be understanding.

i think you have them open enough, so long as they can breath and their bills are clear, they will probably be out of their shells when you get home

Good Luck and keep us posted!

i think you have them open enough, so long as they can breath and their bills are clear, they will probably be out of their shells when you get home

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Thank you for your response!

Any suggestions if return and there is no progress?

Last edited:
Yeah, it kind of looks like there fathers are stuck. Any suggestions how to do this and when to stop trying to assist?
use a qtip with warm water and moisten the edges of the shell so it runs down behind the duckling, make sure not to get it in the nostrils of the 'ling

if you decide to peel more of the egg it may lose some fluff, but just keep an eye out for blood, and have corn starch on hand if needed to dab the blood

use a qtip with warm water and moisten the edges of the shell so it runs down behind the duckling, make sure not to get it in the nostrils of the 'ling 

if you decide to peel more of the egg it may lose some fluff, but just keep an eye out for blood, and have corn starch on hand if needed to dab the blood

Okay so the starch will help with stopping blood? Just dab it on bleeding area, if it happens?

What is proper humidity?

Okay so the starch will help with stopping blood? Just dab it on bleeding area, if it happens?

What is proper humidity?
yes, its like styptic powder but not as strong, use a qtip dab blood then put on the cornstarch
humidity for lockdown should be 65-70% it will increase as pipping/zipping happens so right now since eggs are open it would be around 80%, but any higher for too long could cause oxygen in the air to be limited

Back
Top Bottom