7 month old Easter egger - lethargic

prostar

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Apr 23, 2015
Sunny SoCal
So, I have a 7 month old Easter egger. She hasn’t laid in the past 2-3 weeks (she started early for an Easter egger!) but lately she’s been presenting lethargy and poopy bum. Her appetite is still there - this morning she just lay down in front of the food trough chomping away. She got the dawn bubble bath followed by an epsom salt soak - I don’t see any sign of her being egg bound, crop feels normal, didn’t see mite/lice infestation and I haven’t noticed any respiratory distress either (hey, vnd is getting closer to San Diego county)

I did lose another hen to egg issues (4yo barred rock) recently but no other health issues noticed in the flock. Hedwig is isolated in another coop right now.

It has been suggested to me that I dose her with corid but the stuff I see online at tsc is all geared to cattle. Is this still the right stuff? Liquid or powder which is better? And dosage? Is it 2 tsp liquid to a gallon of water for five days or?

3368EAC8-C93E-4E54-992B-C48077F5B45D.png

I’ll be dusting her with poultry dust when I get home from work tonight anyway to be on the safe side.

D52597A3-029F-4993-83F2-15F141EE7495.jpeg

A2CE5EE7-0159-4A78-8ABF-0DBAF1F00705.jpeg

Yes, I had to look this up online for my girls.
Liquid dose: Corid 9.6% Oral Solution
2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

Powder dose: Corid 20% Soluble Powder
1.5 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

For chickens I have understood that you should change the water daily and treat all birds at the same time. Maybe someone can confirm or deny?

How does her belly area feel? She could be laying internally.

Is a vet an option? If you can't bring her in can you at least collect some poop and have the vet check it? Most dog vet's will check the poop if you bring it in.

Her not laying eggs and having a nasty behind could very well be signs of worm overload or a bacterial infection.

Yes that is the correct Corid.
The liquid is easier to give, especially for a drench dose because there is no mixing.
It won't hurt to give her a round of Corid but I'm afraid that may not be the problem.

For chickens I have understood that you should change the water daily and treat all birds at the same time. Maybe someone can confirm or deny?
Correct
The water does need to be changed daily and added vitamins should not be given while using Corid.

:thumbsup Correct doses!

Thanks all. I don’t see any parasites in the poop, and I’ve set hubs to pick up the liquid corid on his way home from work tonight. (He drives by tsc)

I will see about collecting some poop and bringing it to the vet for a fecal test just to confirm. Too bad work, I may come in late tomorrow to bring in some poop! Mwahaha.

Should be ok in a ziplock bag I assume lol.

I'd like to mention that 9 times out of 10 you will not ever see worms in poop until the bird is so infested there is literally no more room in the body for the worms to stay.
Also blood does not have to be present for there to be an overload of coccidia in the intestines.

Did you get a chance to feel her belly yet to see if it is squishy like or full and firm?

I’ve been at work today unfortunately. I did give her belly a grope last night cause I did worry if it was her being eggbound or something - it wasn’t hard and distended - felt belly like. Get to run away in ten minutes at which point I’ll be calling the vet to see what the cost is/can they do fecals on chickens or if there’s general these worms of the area that I could get the dewormer at Tsc.
Would it shock her system to do both at once? De worm and corid?

Back
Top Bottom