7 month old Easter egger - lethargic

I’ve been at work today unfortunately. I did give her belly a grope last night cause I did worry if it was her being eggbound or something - it wasn’t hard and distended - felt belly like. Get to run away in ten minutes at which point I’ll be calling the vet to see what the cost is/can they do fecals on chickens or if there’s general these worms of the area that I could get the dewormer at Tsc.
Would it shock her system to do both at once? De worm and corid?
No it doesn't hurt to use a dewormer while using Corid but if she is in bad shape and she doesn't have worms using a worming could not end well.

Feel her belly again asap...compare it to one of your other layers or a few of them.

No it doesn't hurt to use a dewormer while using Corid but if she is in bad shape and she doesn't have worms using a worming could not end well.

Feel her belly again asap...compare it to one of your other layers or a few of them.
Just got home. She’s alertish but mobility is not that great. She stumbles around a bit. Again no distending of the belly. If anything it’s less than my normal girls - she’s lost some weight. Hubs should be home with the corid in about 10-15 minutes. Her breathing is a bit labored.

Just got home. She’s alertish but mobility is not that great. She stumbles around a bit. Again no distending of the belly. If anything it’s less than my normal girls - she’s lost some weight. Hubs should be home with the corid in about 10-15 minutes. Her breathing is a bit labored.
And then I saw it. Whitish bugs. Dangit. WHERE IS MY POOF. poultry dust plus a stocking will be good. Though this will be better when hubs can help.

If you see mites or lice use some permethrin garden dust or permethrin spray. The concentrate is mixed 9 ml per quart of water in a spray bottle. Martins and Gordons are 2 brands sold in many feed stores—a pint is about $8. Treat her at 7 day intervals until bugs and eggs are gone. Spray the coop as well, and change out bedding.

Some of her symptoms sound a bit like a reproductive disorder, especially since she is so young, and has stopped laying for 3 weeks. That along with weight loss, and a poopy bottom can be common symptoms. It won’t hurt to do the Corid, deworm, and delouse, though.

upload_2019-3-4_21-4-56.jpeg

CC45A7CD-B014-4B21-881F-BC017914BEA3.jpeg
Well hubs didn’t want to grab some wormer while he was at tsc - didn’t think that’s what it was. But he’s confused too with her symptoms. I gave her a dusting (against his wishes - I wanted him to help but she’s already so rough he didn’t want to put her through more - I do have the liquid permitherin too but figured the dusting would be less stressful on her than getting all wet) but right now she’s in a Rubbermaid tote in the kitchen on paper towels and you can see the mites Running for the hills in the tote. Ick. Odd that the dawn soak didn’t get it but then again I was only really messing around her vent to get the poo. Didn’t work it in elsewhere.

She did eat a bug when husband offered it but now isn’t eating or drinking. :(

3E1F8ECD-DD26-4F87-8BA3-A24ACA760A13.jpeg

Oh my gosh. All those dots....I feel like a horrible chicken mom. All this rain we have been having screws them from dustbathing.

C558785F-2C43-4E87-9CF9-C9921AC393AA.jpeg

She’s now in the second shower. I just hope...her crop is so empty though.

Very sorry for your loss. Are you interested in getting a necropsy by your state vet to find the cause of her illness? I would worry about possible Mareks disease. Keep her body refrigerated but not frozen, and mention that she is a backyard chicken for lower prices. Here is a list of state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom