AikoGami

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
My 9 wk chick (my profile pic) has his crop very full. So much that it looks like his crop is coming out. He was acting normally until he went to lay down for the night. He now looks like he might puke?? He sits up straight and kind of goes up and down with his neck.
Mom gave my chicks tortilla and it seems that might of filled him up AAHH
He has never over eaten before and has never acted this way. Should I not worry or help him out some way?

Last edited:
You need not worry, but yes, you need to treat this little glutton or he will soon be in big trouble with impaction and constipation.

Coconut oil is easiest to use. Measure out one teaspoon. Divide into pea size pieces and chill so it's solid. Then pry open his beak and stuff each piece inside, closing his beak so he can swallow each piece. Get all of it inside him.

Next, cuddle him in your lap and gently massage his crop, working from the bottom and aiming for the lower one-third of the crop where the "drain"is.

What you are doing is to gently help him empty his crop a little so he's not so miserable, and yes, he's probably feeling pretty queasy.

He should tolerate this well, as it will give him a feeling of relief. No need to empty the crop completely. However, if his crop is still full come morning, you may need to repeat this oil exercise.

If you have no coconut oil, use mineral oil or olive oil, but you need to be very careful not to get it in the airway or he could die of choking. I'll post another response with a photo showing how to do this with liquid oil.

2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg
When giving liquids to any chicken, you need to take care to avoid the airway, that hole in the center just behind the tongue. The esophagus is on the right side of the throat and is an open channel leading into the crop. By sliding the oral syringe into the right side of the beak and hugging the right side of the mouth, sliding it under the side of the tongue, it will slip neatly into the esophagus and no liquid will go anywhere except directly into the crop.

You need not worry, but yes, you need to treat this little glutton or he will soon be in big trouble with impaction and constipation.

Coconut oil is easiest to use. Measure out one teaspoon. Divide into pea size pieces and chill so it's solid. Then pry open his beak and stuff each piece inside, closing his beak so he can swallow each piece. Get all of it inside him.

Next, cuddle him in your lap and gently massage his crop, working from the bottom and aiming for the lower one-third of the crop where the "drain"is.

What you are doing is to gently help him empty his crop a little so he's not so miserable, and yes, he's probably feeling pretty queasy.

He should tolerate this well, as it will give him a feeling of relief. No need to empty the crop completely. However, if his crop is still full come morning, you may need to repeat this oil exercise.

If you have no coconut oil, use mineral oil or olive oil, but you need to be very careful not to get it in the airway or he could die of choking. I'll post another response with a photo showing how to do this with liquid oil.
Untitled81_20210530205307.png

So I massage here right. Thank you very much for the reply :'0

My 9 wk chick (my profile pic) has his crop very full. So mush that it looks like his crop is coming out. He was acting normally until he went to lay down for the night. He now looks like he might puke?? He sits up straight and kind of goes up and down with his neck.
Mom gave my chicks tortilla and it seems that might of filled him up AAHH
He has never over eaten before and has never acted this way. Should I not worry or help him out some way?
See if the crop empties overnight. Check it first thing in the morning before he eats/drinks. He's probably just adjusting the crop.

Tortilla is ok in moderation, imho, but the chicks do need a source of grit free choice.

See if the crop empties overnight. Check it first thing in the morning before he eats/drinks. He's probably just adjusting the crop.

Tortilla is ok in moderation, imho, but the chicks do need a source of grit free choice.
I will definitely wake up early! Hope he'll be alright AAHHH :'0
Now I need to spy on my parents and make sure they dont give them too much of anything AAHH

Back
Top Bottom