AAARRGGH...Canine Serial Killer! Help!

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
We had plans to relocate our flock to our relatives' acreage so we could go on holidays to the USA, but...while seeking out a good coop location on the property, we saw two of the neighbours' goat kids lying dead on the field. There's now a dog next-door with the taste of blood in his mouth. He's broken into the property several times but fortunately our relatives don't have animals to kill...yet. Is there any chance we could deter the dog without killing it?

Catch it and turn it over to the humane society
clap.gif

If you are opposed to permanently making sure this dog doesn't get into your chickens (i.e. killing it), you might want to look into electric fencing around your coop and run. I'd put several strands around them, starting around 4" from the bottom and then 8" or so spacing after that. Of course, if your birds are going to free range, all bets are off.

Thanks for the responses...being on friendly terms with the neigbours I'm reluctant to go knock their dog off its perch. But if it knocks my chickens off theirs it's going to be punished! We have some big domes which were formerly used as giant plant nurseries, so we're looking into that as a safe option. Has anybody tried that gelatinous stuff that is supposed to repel dogs? Citronella or something?

Electric fencing is usually the best bet. You can set up a temporary electric fence pen for under a hundred bucks.

They're aware of it but it's actually their parents dog, so they're recluctant to do anything about it. So their parents' dog killed THEIR goats.
1f631.png

Back
Top Bottom