Major_in_MS

Gentleman Farmer
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 10, 2012
Central, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop

I originally sent an email to support using the contact link at the bottom of the page, I got a reply back asking that I post it here instead.

Other XenForo forums that I'm on give members the ability to customize their experience on the forum by choosing to ignore specific threads or specific forums that they are not interested in.

See example screen caps:
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.23.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.24.38 AM.png

On backyardchickens.com there are a few very busy, very long, and very old conversation threads, no offense to anybody intended, that keep the new posts pages clogged up with posts that I'm usually not interested in reading. Every time I go to one of these and hit mark read it shows back up within a few minutes because they are so active.

Please enable the ignore threads and ignore forums feature. It would be nice to be able to click on "New Posts" and just see the new posts in the forums that I'm actually interested in reading.

If you don't want to allow us members to ignore unwanted threads/forums then would you at least help me understand why this is not allowed.

Thanks,
Major

Last edited:
Other XenForo forums that I'm on give members the ability to customize their experience on the forum by choosing to ignore specific threads or specific forums that they are not interested in.
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion!

If you don't want to allow us members to ignore unwanted threads/forums then would you at least help me understand why this is not allowed.
It's not so much that this feature "is not allowed", but that this functionality is not built-into the XenForo software.

We'll review the feedback and ideas in this thread and see if there's an opportunity / way to add this functionality.

It's not so much that this feature "is not allowed", but that this functionality is not built-into the XenForo software.

We'll review the feedback and ideas in this thread and see if there's an opportunity / way to add this functionality.

@Nifty-Chicken
Ok, thanks for responding. I thought maybe this feature on my other forum was just an option in the forum setup that was not turned on here. Upon doing some research it looks like this is an 'Add-on' to the xenForo platform.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 071328.png

Just in case you might be interested in adding this, here are a couple of screen shots of what the feature looks like when you click the 'Ignore' button on a forum and on a thread.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 065817.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 065902.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 070014.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 070035.png

Basically if I understand you right, this feature would unclutter the ‘new posts’ by omitting all the things you k ow you aren’t interested in (some of which are high volume so create a lot of clutter).

Yes, exactly that!

For instance if I ignored the social forums such as "Random Ramblings" and then ignored the "Other Backyard Poultry" forums then my 'new posts' feed would only show the actual new posts in the actual chicken forums that I'm interested in.

And me being able to do this would not affect the way anybody else uses or enjoys the site.

There is an Unwatch button, if you don't wanna continue watching a thread, or several.

Yes, I know how to Unwatch a Watched thread. That is not what this post is about. I've been using discussion forums for over 20 years. Maybe even longer, I can't actually remember the first forum that I joined.

You can go to a forum topic that you are interested in and use the filter option to see the newest messages within that forum. Sorting by last message and descending will give you the newest posts. Sorting by first message and descending will give you the newest threads in that forum.

Thank you both for the time to post to try to help. I actually know how to navigate these forums to get to the posts that I want to read. My purpose for posting this thread was to try to get a feature turned on that is available that would make using the forum easier and more enjoyable for me.

Yes, I know how to Unwatch a Watched thread. That is not what this post is about. I've been using discussion forums for over 20 years. Maybe even longer, I can't actually remember the first forum that I joined.

Thank you both for the time to post to try to help. I actually know how to navigate these forums to get to the posts that I want to read. My purpose for posting this thread was to try to get a feature turned on that is available that would make using the forum easier and more enjoyable for me.
I know exactly what you mean and think that would be a useful feature.

I originally sent an email to support using the contact link at the bottom of the page, I got a reply back asking that I post it here instead.

See example screen caps:
View attachment 3743170

View attachment 3743174

On backyardchickens.com there are a few very busy, very long, and very old conversation threads, no offense to anybody intended, that keep the new posts pages clogged up with posts that I'm usually not interested in reading. Every time I go to one of these and hit mark read it shows back up within a few minutes because they are so active.

Please enable the ignore threads and ignore forums feature. It would be nice to be able to click on "New Posts" and just see the new posts in the forums that I'm actually interested in reading.

Thanks,
Major
Select to WATCH the forums you like.
Example:
Screenshot_20240208-190517.png

Next when you are viewing the new post page select this:
Screenshot_20240208-190324.png

Just make sure you don't select Random Ramblings and it won't show up on your filtered new post list. Problem Solved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom