Add-on nesting box

One of those small plastic cat or small dog kennels works great, they run about $20 - $25, but come in handy if you ever have to transport a bird, or cat, or poodle, sometime in the future too. They have a suitcase style handle on top, and removable door, and work well for a hospital night in the house for a bird too, if you ever need that, or even a ride to the bathtub and back out.

Last edited:
Well, you could break them. ;)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I made a portable floor nest for my broodies..14x16x16..works great, bulky to store tho.
full

Hey all,

Had an interesting morning today...
Of our nine hens, we have one on eggs, one practicing, and now a third lurking the area and making the "broody screech".

Now we've had two of these three girls raise a batch of babies before, and are completely okay with them having more (though the hand-off of babies has become a little more difficult as we are very cautious of VND being in CA).

The only problem is we only have three nesting boxes!
The girls have their favorites, but three has always been plenty until now.
Any suggestions on a quick add-on box I can tuck inside that they might be interested in nesting in? Honestly I might even add two just to try to make them comfortable.
Thanks in advance!

Ryn.

I bought my girls a couple of wicker cat beds at goodwill, and screwed them to the wall using a screw through a flat piece of shim wood so the screw wouldn't pull through. They seem to prefer this over the traditional nest box. Also have seen milk crates and buckets attached to a wall. Any 12x12 inch container you have, really, as long as you put it in a private spot and put straw in it.

Well, you could break them. ;)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I made a portable floor nest for my broodies..14x16x16..works great, bulky to store tho.
full
Hahaha. So far it hasn't been an issue, we have plenty of friends that have eggs/need birds. (No roosters here).

That is sweet! I was thinking that might be more work than I wanted to do currently, but it has the added benefit of being portable as you mentioned. Might be good to get one of these gals out of the coop (we have had some nest stealers during morning food breaks).

Thank you!

I bought my girls a couple of wicker cat beds at goodwill, and screwed them to the wall using a screw through a flat piece of shim wood so the screw wouldn't pull through. They seem to prefer this over the traditional nest box. Also have seen milk crates and buckets attached to a wall. Any 12x12 inch container you have, really, as long as you put it in a private spot and put straw in it.
Nice idea thanks!
So like a through hole in the box, and then a small tight hole in some scrap wood to bite onto?

Back
Top Bottom