Add-on nesting box

A8E13DA8-F2EE-42BB-8AB5-85FDFC82F2A9.jpeg
Hey all,

Had an interesting morning today...
Of our nine hens, we have one on eggs, one practicing, and now a third lurking the area and making the "broody screech".

Now we've had two of these three girls raise a batch of babies before, and are completely okay with them having more (though the hand-off of babies has become a little more difficult as we are very cautious of VND being in CA).

The only problem is we only have three nesting boxes!
The girls have their favorites, but three has always been plenty until now.
Any suggestions on a quick add-on box I can tuck inside that they might be interested in nesting in? Honestly I might even add two just to try to make them comfortable.
Thanks in advance!

Ryn.
I recently added in a kitty litter box and put a curtain in front of it. I put it in the middle under the poop board and each side of it is open so now I have three new nesting areas. It’s hard to explain, so here is a picture.

No worries, just wanted to make sure I understood. I had the screw backward in my mind but I got what you are saying now.
The wood scrap acts as a washer to keep the head from pulling through. The milk crates someone mentioned are simple to clean with a hose whenever you change bedding.

How do you get all the holes clean?
That was one thing I was worried about.
I have a plywood board in the bottom and I top that with a nesting pad...my girls like nesting pads. When I clean them old pad comes out and goes to green waste can the boards get sprayed down brushed and rinsed as do the crates...spray them with all purpose cleaner use a large scrub brush on them and rinse off with garden hose spray nozzle

Back
Top Bottom