Advice for my little Pekin!

Apr 24, 2024
Hello!

I am seeking advice for my young Pekin called Doreen. I have attached some photos I screenshot from a video as I was having difficulty uploaded the video!
Over the last few days she has become more lethargic and slower when moving around. She also seems to stumble a little but she hasn't always been the most stable with her little legs.
The key things that also seems strange is she will random stop, stand still and close her eyes slowly and stand with her eyes closed for about 30 seconds before opening them again and repeating this.
This is my first flock so I want to make sure she is okay!

Any advice gratefully received!
Megan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424-195016.png
    Screenshot_20240424-195016.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240424-194956.png
    Screenshot_20240424-194956.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
How old is she? Is she a bantam or a young pullet? Is she having runny droppings? I would get some Corid liquid or powder at your feed store in the cattle medicines to treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or (1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Also give her 1/4 tsp of the undiluted liquid Corid once a day as a drench, in addition to her treated water. Try to get her to drink as much as possible, and it can go in some food as well. If she is a grown bantam, you could also worm her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or rose paste, or Valbazen as well.

Giving some vitamins and electrolytes in the water for a little bit is a safe bet to try too. I always add rooster booster or Sav-A-Chick powder in all my poultry's water if they ever act out of it.

How old is she? Is she a bantam or a young pullet? Is she having runny droppings? I would get some Corid liquid or powder at your feed store in the cattle medicines to treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or (1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Also give her 1/4 tsp of the undiluted liquid Corid once a day as a drench, in addition to her treated water. Try to get her to drink as much as possible, and it can go in some food as well. If she is a grown bantam, you could also worm her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or rose paste, or Valbazen as well.

Thank you so much!
She is around 8 months now (I was told she was 6 Months old when I got her in February).
Poops seem totally normal so far. I had some vitamins and electrolytes stuff to add to their water arrive today so will start that straight away and look for the corid liquid. She is drinking pretty well so shouldn't be a problem to get her to drink a good amount.
I have warmed them with Flubenvet pellets, is this effect enough?

Thank you again!

Giving some vitamins and electrolytes in the water for a little bit is a safe bet to try too. I always add rooster booster or Sav-A-Chick powder in all my poultry's water if they ever act out of it.
Do not give any B vitamins or thiamine if you start Corid. If you are not using Corid then electrolytes and vitamins are fine to use.

Thank you so much!
She is around 8 months now (I was told she was 6 Months old when I got her in February).
Poops seem totally normal so far. I had some vitamins and electrolytes stuff to add to their water arrive today so will start that straight away and look for the corid liquid. She is drinking pretty well so shouldn't be a problem to get her to drink a good amount.
I have warmed them with Flubenvet pellets, is this effect enough?

Thank you again!
If she is eating enough of the feed with the Flubenvet, that is fine, but if she isn’t you may want to give something orally to worm her. Panacur horse paste is one choice. If you are in the UK, then you can get Harkers Coxoid, which is amprollium and the same medicine as Corid. If she is having problems walking or other symptoms, Mareks can show up at this age. Let us know how she is doing.

If she is eating enough of the feed with the Flubenvet, that is fine, but if she isn’t you may want to give something orally to worm her. Panacur horse paste is one choice. If you are in the UK, then you can get Harkers Coxoid, which is amprollium and the same medicine as Corid. If she is having problems walking or other symptoms, Mareks can show up at this age. Let us know how she is doing.
I am UK based so will look into this. Mareks had crossed my mind I must admit.
Honestly thank you all so much! Having something to action helps to feel like we will make progress. Will update in a couple days!

Hi all! A little update after a couple days.
I got hold of harkers coxoid and we started with that yesterday (with the drench and following in her water per instructions). She is much more perky in herself, although eating hadn't really changed she definitely seeking out more food again and drinking well. He poops have changed slightly which I've attached a photo of. I guess it's a waiting game to see how to responds? Also thinking of doing a more direct wormer as I don't want to risk the flock not getting enough from the pellets?

Thank you all again

Attachments

• PXL_20240426_185141454.jpg
    PXL_20240426_185141454.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240426_065825044.jpg
    PXL_20240426_065825044.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240426_065818144.jpg
    PXL_20240426_065818144.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240425_182321072.jpg