Advice on broody RIR

lisaleesa546

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2016
I have a 1.5 year old RIR (maybe production red) who all summer has been flirting with being broody. I would find her sitting in the nest in classic broody mode, skwacking at me when I collected eggs but she never stuck with it more than 24 hours. Well last week I found her on the nest and she stayed for a few days. I decided to move her into another area and see if she would set there and she has and seems to be doing a really good job. She only gets up once or twice a day, usually for 15-20 minutes. It's been about a week and a half since she first started. I wanted to get her a couple of chicks and slip them under her. My question is, is there a certain time I should wait? She has only been broody a little over a week but seems very dedicated and since it's so late in the season I don't want to wait too long. Temperatures are already started to drop a little here.

I would wait till the second and third week to introduce her chicks.Chicks are extremely cold tolerant.If they get cold they will just pop under her.When you give her the chicks do it at night.Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom