chkva

Songster
Mar 20, 2015
We just acquired a cream Legbar hen that's about a year and a half old. Previous owner said she was aggressive with her sisters and he could no longer handle it so he wanted to re-home her. I couldn't say no to adding her to our flock because she's gorgeous and her eggs would look great with the variety we have.

Right now she's separated in a large run (8 feet wide 6 feet tall 8 feet long) it's all wired and secure. How do I introduce this "aggressive" hen to my other 3 that are quite timid? The other 3 are an olive egger and 2 red sex links.

The CL hasn't laid an egg yet, we got her on Sunday so I'm hoping she will or maybe that's on of the reasons she was rehomed.

How long should I keep her in the run? Will she always be aggressive? Basically we were told she was pecking a lot and not letting others lay their eggs (kicking them out of nests and such). I figured a change of scenery might help her, but I'm probably wrong! I want her to be happy here! I'm also thinking about adding another hen at some point, should I get a certain breed to put with the CL before she's introduced to the flock?

We free range in a fenced in area that's 20 feet by 50 feet and plan on extending it to double that size.

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions and advice :caf

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_132012~2.jpg
    IMG_20190414_132012~2.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 79
Kicking out of nest is normal, are you sure he wasn’t just exaggerating?
Your birds may seem timid but when you introduce a new bird your once “Timid” hens start to show a totally different side.I would leave her separated for about a week so they can get aqaunted.She was probably lead hen at her old house but new premises may cause her to be more timid rather then aggressive.Once you introduce her you’ll just have to wait and see.

Kicking out of nest is normal, are you sure he wasn’t just exaggerating?
Your birds may seem timid but when you introduce a new bird your once “Timid” hens start to show a totally different side.I would leave her separated for about a week so they can get aqaunted.She was probably lead hen at her old house but new premises may cause her to be more timid rather then aggressive.Once you introduce her you’ll just have to wait and see.
He could've been exaggerating, I don't know the person or the exact situation just what I was told. I don't plan on rehoming her because I will figure out something if she is aggressive. There's always something you can do, I have plenty more land if I need to relocate her elsewhere.

How close is she housed next to the existing birds?
If she's been right next to them, then let her out and see what happens - if she is carrying any type of disease the others have already been exposed.

Your view of "Aggressive" may be different than mine - for me, if it's pecking, chasing, posturing with minimal blood drawn (i.e. a small peck to the comb that bleeds) is o.k. It can take time for birds to settle down with one another.
Observe interactions and just see how it goes.
Thing is, some of that behavior in your description, I would probably deem "normal" some hens do rule nesting boxes, but I would have had to see it to even know. Hens can be very dramatic at times. If you are used to docile sweet fluffies that get along charmingly, and this gal is quite bold, you may end up changing your mind keeping her.
See how it goes. Video is can helpful, if not, entertaining :)

IF you have her quarantined for observation, then leave her quarantined.

How close is she housed next to the existing birds?
If she's been right next to them, then let her out and see what happens - if she is carrying any type of disease the others have already been exposed.

Your view of "Aggressive" may be different than mine - for me, if it's pecking, chasing, posturing with minimal blood drawn (i.e. a small peck to the comb that bleeds) is o.k. It can take time for birds to settle down with one another.
Observe interactions and just see how it goes.
Thing is, some of that behavior in your description, I would probably deem "normal" some hens do rule nesting boxes, but I would have had to see it to even know. Hens can be very dramatic at times. If you are used to docile sweet fluffies that get along charmingly, and this gal is quite bold, you may end up changing your mind keeping her.
See how it goes. Video is can helpful, if not, entertaining :)

IF you have her quarantined for observation, then leave her quarantined.
I know that she pecks quite hard since she does it through the fencing at the others, but I figured letting her get used to them slowly is probably best. We are going to try her out for a few weeks and if she needs rehoming it will be with someone we know who is experienced. I'm trying to avoid rehoming entirely, but obviously things happen.

I'm honestly used to more aggressive type birds because my OE can be quite a handful, but after all her bad times she still will sit with me on the steps to snuggle. She grew up with 3 cockerels (we were told they were all pullets) so she acts like they did, but we love her for who she is.

The CL was kicking other hens out of the coop by pecking them to the point where they couldn't handle it (previous owner said this). Plus his hens stopped laying due to the stress of this particular hen. Once he removed her, their laying resumed. She has yet to lay for us so unsure if she even lays, but her sisters do since I saw pics when we got her.

Myself and the owner figured a change of scenery for the CL would be what's best. I can only go based off the aggressive behaviors he saw and experienced. Maybe some birds will never change no matter the situation or change of scenery.

I know that she pecks quite hard since she does it through the fencing at the others, but I figured letting her get used to them slowly is probably best. We are going to try her out for a few weeks and if she needs rehoming it will be with someone we know who is experienced. I'm trying to avoid rehoming entirely, but obviously things happen.

I'm honestly used to more aggressive type birds because my OE can be quite a handful, but after all her bad times she still will sit with me on the steps to snuggle. She grew up with 3 cockerels (we were told they were all pullets) so she acts like they did, but we love her for who she is.

The CL was kicking other hens out of the coop by pecking them to the point where they couldn't handle it (previous owner said this). Plus his hens stopped laying due to the stress of this particular hen. Once he removed her, their laying resumed. She has yet to lay for us so unsure if she even lays, but her sisters do since I saw pics when we got her.

Myself and the owner figured a change of scenery for the CL would be what's best. I can only go based off the aggressive behaviors he saw and experienced. Maybe some birds will never change no matter the situation or change of scenery.
She may not lay for a few days due to stress of moving. If she's trying to peck at them through fencing, then she is likely going to peck them when she is with them, all you can do is see what happens. Since she's that close, then I would just let her out unless your worried she will run off.
Yes, I have a hen that is a "nesting box monitor" as well. She doesn't do it quite so much now that another hen finally had enough and beat her up. All it takes is for one to be put in their place for things to calm down sometimes. I do agree, something like that can create stress, it's nice when all is going well and everyone gets along.

Let us know how it goes.

She may not lay for a few days due to stress of moving. If she's trying to peck at them through fencing, then she is likely going to peck them when she is with them, all you can do is see what happens. Since she's that close, then I would just let her out unless your worried she will run off.
Yes, I have a hen that is a "nesting box monitor" as well. She doesn't do it quite so much now that another hen finally had enough and beat her up. All it takes is for one to be put in their place for things to calm down sometimes. I do agree, something like that can create stress, it's nice when all is going well and everyone gets along.

Let us know how it goes.
If only they all got along all the time! That's a dream... I was hoping to add another into the flock that comes from the same batch as my other two red sex links. The farmer who bred these created such nice birds! They are almost like dogs, it's quite odd but entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom