All the Christian Homeschoolers!

I think it's a very individual thing. In my case, I got a very good education from being homeschooled. Better than any of my public-schooled peers. There were some factors that made it successful - my parents actively wanted to homeschool us, my mother was an intelligent woman who did a very good job, we were heavily involved in a church community and christian homeschooling groups so I got a lot of structured social activity, I had many siblings so was not alone, I had outside interests that other adults supported me in so I spent a lot of time outside the home with other people, and I was very self-motivated child with a huge amount of curiosity.

None of these factors apply to my situation with my daughter, so I chose a small local school where those important factors - work ethic, love of learning, respect, morals, are a very important part of the school culture. That being said, I had to teach her to read myself over the summer vacation when she was 5, as she still couldn't read properly six months after beginning school. Obviously a child is going to get a better education if taught one-on-one. It has just been my experience that many of my home-schooled peers were taught at home due to an ideology, and their outcomes were not good in many cases. Nobody in the homeschooling community I grew up with (and this is a lot of kids, over 30) chose to homeschool their own children when they had them. That does speak some volume I feel.

In life everything has positives and negatives. I feel it's important to acknowledge both aspects of a thing, and be mindful of how you do mitigate the negatives. There are negatives to NOT homeschooling, and I try to mitigate those by remaining connected to our school community and aware of what my daughter is and isn't learning, so I can fill in any gaps.
Do you worry about the lack of time outside your daughter will get?

I went to public school, and while the education was absolutely lacking, the worst thing about it for me was all the sitting and being talked to (that they called education), as opposed to learning because I had time, flexibility and a natural interest in some things. I was only outside when I walked home from school and if I got done with homework and still had time before bed. The older I got, the more my interest to be outside faded and I just accepted society norms instead, such a screen time and things less healthy for me overall.

Every situation is absolutely different, and you have to do what’s best for your family. I’m just asking as I see that as one of the biggest downsides of public/private school. And I say that as someone who is married to a private school educator lol.

Do you worry about the lack of time outside your daughter will get?

I went to public school, and while the education was absolutely lacking, the worst thing about it for me was all the sitting and being talked to (that they called education), as opposed to learning because I had time, flexibility and a natural interest in some things. I was only outside when I walked home from school and if I got done with homework and still had time before bed. The older I got, the more my interest to be outside faded and I just accepted society norms instead, such a screen time and things less healthy for me overall.

Every situation is absolutely different, and you have to do what’s best for your family. I’m just asking as I see that as one of the biggest downsides of public/private school. And I say that as someone who is married to a private school educator lol.
I think schools here in New Zealand are not the same as where you are. The children aren't getting particularly much of a good academic education but they spend a lot of time outside, I'd say 2 hours at least of every school day, which runs from 8:50am to 2:50pm, have outdoor sports every day, swimming in summer, have a school garden. The education is heavily based around inquiry learning and project based stuff, very similar to how I was taught a lot at home. If this wasn't the case maybe I would have made different choices. Not many children hate school at an elementary level here.
There are only around 60 children at the school my daughter attends. Every child knows every other child and every teacher knows all the children. The older children are expected to be good role models and leaders.
I don't think we are comparing public education systems that are remotely the same. I'm sorry that there is such a shortage of options for you.

I think it went pretty well!!! :wee
That's great!
I think schools here in New Zealand are not the same as where you are. The children aren't getting particularly much of a good academic education but they spend a lot of time outside, I'd say 2 hours at least of every school day, which runs from 8:50am to 2:50pm, have outdoor sports every day, swimming in summer, have a school garden. The education is heavily based around inquiry learning and project based stuff, very similar to how I was taught a lot at home. If this wasn't the case maybe I would have made different choices. Not many children hate school at an elementary level here.
There are only around 60 children at the school my daughter attends. Every child knows every other child and every teacher knows all the children. The older children are expected to be good role models and leaders.
I don't think we are comparing public education systems that are remotely the same. I'm sorry that there is such a shortage of options for you.
Ohhh, in New Zealand I bet it is different! It sounds wonderful

there's so much smoke in the sky that the light is doing weird things. Its not like a bright orange, its like a subtle hue but def noticeable.
the temp is also dropping.
Where are you approximately? I'm on the East Coast and the smoke is so thick it looks like a thick fog blanket. It's also smelled like smoke all day.

Back
Top Bottom