Jraba1315

Songster
Sep 11, 2019
Washington
So I am getting a Blue Ameraucana Cockerel (About 4-5 months), 2 Blue Ameraucana Pullets, and 2 Black Ameraucana pullets. I am planning on showing them (or some of my other chickens) through 4-H through my high school, but I was also wondering what breeds I could/should get to breed with my Blue Ameraucana Cockerel when he is older. I currently know of Fauvacauna's, we have two faverolle's currently. I am also aware of easter eggers and olive eggers. I was just wondering if anyone knew of other mixes like the Fauvacauna? And if you do do you know a good place to get show quality chicks of that breed, preferably sexed? Any and all suggestions/comments would be helpful! Thank You!

The Ameraucanas are showable because they are an accpeted breed with a Standard of Perfection. There is no way to make a currently showable breed by crossing them with anything else. A Fauvacana is a mix and therefore can’t be “show quality.” You can create mixed breeds for the fun of it, including Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers but they won’t be able to be competitive at shows that use the APA SOP.

The Ameraucanas are showable because they are an accpeted breed with a Standard of Perfection. There is no way to make a currently showable breed by crossing them with anything else. A Fauvacana is a mix and therefore can’t be “show quality.” You can create mixed breeds for the fun of it, including Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers but they won’t be able to be competitive at shows that use the APA SOP.
Thank you. I was planning on only using the pure ameraucanas for show. I was just curious of what ameraucana mixes would make some pretty/desirable birds for selling/just keeping for looks or egg colors.

Why don't you just make a pile of Favacaunas?
They're nice looking even if they don't inherit the blue coloration and they tend to keep the better parts of the Faverolles personality.:)
Thank you. I was planning on only using the pure ameraucanas for show. I was just curious of what ameraucana mixes would make some pretty/desirable birds for selling/just keeping for looks or egg colors.

If you spent the money for true Ameraucanas, why not just breed what you have. Try to breed for the best blue egg you can get or the best show bird you can get or both. If your going to sell the hatching eggs or chicks you would get a better price a pure breed than a mix/EE I would think. Maybe get a black rooster to get two lines going, blue and black. Sounds like a fun project.

If you spent the money for true Ameraucanas, why not just breed what you have. Try to breed for the best blue egg you can get or the best show bird you can get or both. If your going to sell the hatching eggs or chicks you would get a better price a pure breed than a mix/EE I would think. Maybe get a black rooster to get two lines going, blue and black. Sounds like a fun project.
Do you think there would be enough demand for bbs ameraucana chicks/hatching eggs for me to only have those? I was originally wanting to add things like Favaucanas along with the true ameraucanas so that I would have different varieties of chicks. I also don’t have enough coops for a black roo. Thank you for your suggestions!

Do you think there would be enough demand for bbs ameraucana chicks/hatching eggs for me to only have those? I was originally wanting to add things like Favaucanas along with the true ameraucanas so that I would have different varieties of chicks. I also don’t have enough coops for a black roo. Thank you for your suggestions!

I don’t know. You’ll have to do the research for your state to find out. Go for it if you want some Favaucanas. I have nine EE pullets and one rooster and three Black Copper Marans pullets. I plan to cross the EE and the BCM for olive eggers in the future.

I’d say Olive Eggers would be more marketable than just Easter Eggers. Maybe try to find some BCMs that lay a nice dark brown egg. But one thing I’ve found with my Wheaten Ameraucanas is, the roosters don’t want to breed with their own kind. I had 100% fertility with my mixes and 10% with my Ameraucanas when all hens were penned together(10 hens total). Near 100% when only Ameraucanas penned together. So if your planning on hatching it’s something to watch. If your fertility drops, try penning him with the Ameraucanas only. Happy showing!

Edited to add: And of course your Ameraucanas would be marketable by themselves especially if they are decent quality.

Last edited:
I’d say Olive Eggers would be more marketable than just Easter Eggers. Maybe try to find some BCMs that lay a nice dark brown egg. But one thing I’ve found with my Wheaten Ameraucanas is, the roosters don’t want to breed with their own kind. I had 100% fertility with my mixes and 10% with my Ameraucanas when all hens were penned together(10 hens total). Near 100% when only Ameraucanas penned together. So if your planning on hatching it’s something to watch. If your fertility drops, try penning him with the Ameraucanas only. Happy showing!

Edited to add: And of course your Ameraucanas would be marketable by themselves especially if they are decent quality.
Thank you! I honestly never thought that was a thing so that is definitely something I will keep in mind. I currently only have three pullets that would make an olive Egger but about 7 that will make EE’s. I also have three salmon faverolle’s and am planning to get two more. Along with my BBS ameraucanas that I’m getting. Some of these will be spread out with my other two Roos. So 2-3 more chicks/pullets what breed would you guys recommend? I saw a Cochin ameraucana mix which in my opinion was beautiful but I’m definitely looking for more opinions!

Thank you! I honestly never thought that was a thing so that is definitely something I will keep in mind. I currently only have three pullets that would make an olive Egger but about 7 that will make EE’s. I also have three salmon faverolle’s and am planning to get two more. Along with my BBS ameraucanas that I’m getting. Some of these will be spread out with my other two Roos. So 2-3 more chicks/pullets what breed would you guys recommend? I saw a Cochin ameraucana mix which in my opinion was beautiful but I’m definitely looking for more opinions!
Can you get a couple more blue or Black Ameraucanas? That’s what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom