Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Wow!!!
Catching up, was behind on the thread... I quoted your earlier pic and was gonna ask you if he was your cockerel that took Grand Champion!!!!

celebrate.gif

Nice work, Susan!! They just keep getting better and better!!!
droolin.gif

highfive.gif

For that win, you were rather modest IMO...
big_smile.png

I'd be driving everyone sick with pics and posts!!!
gig.gif

Btw, our very first Balthazar baby has arrived!!!
ya.gif

Out of O80, I am impressed already!!
love.gif

And making his debut sporting our very first toe punch, lol...
big_smile.png

Ohhhh...look at that tuxedo!! And that beautiful head...yeah, baby. :)

Ohhhh...look at that tuxedo!!  And that beautiful head...yeah, baby. :)

Nice wide head, I love it!! Thank you sooooo much!! I just couldn't be happier with my trio from you!!

I'll have to get you a comparison pic, new phones camera sucks, so am fighting it for good pics... I hatched out 2 blacks from my Mama Hen and 4 SB's from another line and the differences are astounding!!! I can't wait for more to hatch and grow out!

Nice wide head, I love it!! Thank you sooooo much!! I just couldn't be happier with my trio from you!!

I'll have to get you a comparison pic, new phones camera sucks, so am fighting it for good pics... I hatched out 2 blacks from my Mama Hen and 4 SB's from another line and the differences are astounding!!! I can't wait for more to hatch and grow out!

Can't wait to see them! :)....like at the Dixie Classic.

Such a lovely black rooster you have, quite large.

So now I have a question about my flock and the resident roosters...I have 2 splash Cochins, they are huge and starting to crow. Also 2 Buff O's, they are gigantic and crowing. Lovely combs, wattles, etc. Now to the Ameracaunas.....I *think* I have 2 roosters, but only one has good hackle feathers,. no tail feathers to speak of, and almost no comb. The other roo...if it is a roo... is far behind in feathering out. And both roos are the same size as the pullets. The other 4 roos are gigantic when compared to the pullets. Are americaunas just slow to mature? They are all the same age, get the same food, etc.

Such a lovely black rooster you have, quite large.

So now I have a question about my flock and the resident roosters...I have 2 splash Cochins, they are huge and starting to crow. Also 2 Buff O's, they are gigantic and crowing. Lovely combs, wattles, etc. Now to the Ameracaunas.....I *think* I have 2 roosters, but only one has good hackle feathers,. no tail feathers to speak of, and almost no comb. The other roo...if it is a roo... is far behind in feathering out. And both roos are the same size as the pullets. The other 4 roos are gigantic when compared to the pullets. Are americaunas just slow to mature? They are all the same age, get the same food, etc.

Ameraucanas can be slow to mature, but even at full size, they are not going to compare to either a Cochin or Orpington - both of which are generally larger birds than Ameraucanas. Full size, adult Ameraucana males should weigh around 6.5 lbs, while a full size Orpington or Cornish will easily push 10 lbs or bigger, for the Cornish especially.

Nice work, Susan!! They just keep getting better and better!!!
droolin.gif

highfive.gif

For that win, you were rather modest IMO...
big_smile.png
He is an improvement over his sire, Max. Clif says he looks just like his granddad - another Grand Champion, except he has a better comb than the granddad. He's not perfect...but he's as close as I've bred here. LOL

Thanks, SAMOUW, I was beginning to wonder just what was going on. I'm not looking for them to get bigger so much as I'm wanting them to get PRETTY. Know what I mean?
wink.png

He is an improvement over his sire, Max.  Clif says he looks just like his granddad - another Grand Champion, except he has a better comb than the granddad.  He's not perfect...but he's as close as I've bred here.  LOL

Wow! That's incredible, Susan... he certainly is gorgeous... and that comparison says "You're doing it Right!" :D

Can't wait to see them! :)....like at the Dixie Classic.

Want a run for your money, eh? :gig

If they turn out half as good as him, I will be happy... but I'm not worried, I know they'll be great...

Btw, I see Orange legband on him... he's Princess and Harley's brother, isn't he??

Last edited:
Thanks, SAMOUW, I was beginning to wonder just what was going on.  I'm not looking for them to get bigger so much as I'm wanting them to get PRETTY.  Know what I mean?  ;)

Susan is correct, Am's finish out much smaller than Orps or Cochins... Am's are a medium weight large fowl and Orps and Cochins are heavy weight large fowl... as for filling out, it's not uncommon for Am cockerels to take 6 months or more to show their full potential...

Wow! That's incredible, Susan... he certainly is gorgeous... and that comparison says "You're doing it Right!" :D
Want a run for your money, eh? :gig

If they turn out half as good as him, I will be happy... but I'm not worried, I know they'll be great...

Btw, I see Orange legband on him... he's Princess and Harley's brother, isn't he??

Yep... Full brother. Orange legband is a Max son out of the second pullet I got from Clif.

Back
Top Bottom