Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Culls for John, yes, but for me, well...the only thing I don't like about the white is he carries his tail down. Not sure if he was injured or just terrified.

But, that being said, is the black split to lavender to have that coloring possibly? And has anyone else seen a lavender go white? John would not have known that is what it was going to do because he sold them as young (week old?) chicks.

My lavenders carried recessive white. When the chicks hatch you can see both lavender and white on them. the more white showing in the chick the more likely the chick will be white when feathered.

I am no longer using those birds. I have new one for this year from Paul Smith.... we will see what I get this year.

That means it was a genetic mutation or he is recessive white.

The black is a cull.

Well, both were culls, that is why John got rid of them.
That sounded a little harsh.

Anytime one buys anything other than very young chicks from a breeder, they are buying the breeder's "culls" since most breeders will keep their best and sell those they don't keep. That doesn't necessarily mean they are unworthy. A breeder may be looking for a very specific trait, and "cull" everything that doesn't have that trait. It doesn't mean that those not kept by the breeder are poor quality birds. I don't if these birds are nice or not, but the last line you wrote just didn't sit well with me.

I understand these guys are good quality but not what the breeder was looking for. We all have to start somewhere and I certainly don't expect a breeder to sell his best stock to anyone. All I can do is work up from what I have.

So, moving on...I thought the white roo not very good because he has a yellow beak, but I see in the standards the white roo has a yellow beak.

Here is a pic of the white guy...I put him up for sale but now am confused. You can see why I don't like his tail - I assume it's supposed to be carried up more?

Thanks!

I would like to add that I also have JB cull chicks, and they are lovely birds. His breeding goals for each hatch are specific for that hatch, so culls may be terrific birds, especially for all of us that don't plan to show but want lovely big attractive chickens. No complaints from me! Mary

Big Sky offers several different types of certified organic feed, some (maybe all) are corn and soy free, some of vegan and some contain fish meal. I have been very happy with their feed. We have a buyer's co-op and order every two months, that way we can get wholesale pricing and share the shipping of many pallets of feed. 

http://www.montanaflour.com/big-sky-organic-feed/

I'm in Kentucky....sounds like great feed though. Might try to find some countryside organics feed.

Im new to chickens. Wondering if anyone here can tell me if these are true Ameracaunas and how can you tell if you have roos?
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Im new to chickens. Wondering if anyone here can tell me if these are true Ameracaunas and how can you tell if you have roos?
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
I only see one pic and it looks like a wheaten cockerel. Hard to see from my phone if anything looks out of place but from what I see it is true to type and color

Back
Top Bottom