American Reza (Pakistani) Asil

The guy in Maine acted super paranoid. Had me meet his wife at a store with the birds and called her half a dozen times while we exchanged them. I think I know what he was up to.

A second breeder never got back to me.

I just can't see the expenditure when so many birds I see posted for sale or hatching eggs from, or the results of a hatch, are something I don't want. I can either start with the problems I have, or I can pay a lot of money to start with a different set of problems. Tons of birds I see have that really short breastbone, like this guy....
1000005193.jpg Either way there's lots of chicken to eat.

One thing driving me crazy over the whole thing is how much gatekeeping seems to happen with breeding gamefowl. Nobody is even willing to discuss what good conformation on an Asil is, and I had to extrapolate from a bunch of other breeds and sources to come up with what I hope is the answer. I listen to Kenny Troiano, but if I want answers from that quarter, I have to pay $500 a year. I've bred dairy goats for years and it's easy to find info, so it's not that I'm incompetent lol. Rant over.

One thing driving me crazy over the whole thing is how much gatekeeping seems to happen with breeding gamefowl. Nobody is even willing to discuss what good conformation on an Asil is, and I had to extrapolate from a bunch of other breeds and sources to come up with what I hope is the answer. I listen to Kenny Troiano, but if I want answers from that quarter, I have to pay $500 a year. I've bred dairy goats for years and it's easy to find info, so it's not that I'm incompetent lol. Rant over.
570-856-8707. I’m self taught with fowl since 1997. If you are serious about asil and preservation of the breed, and want to learn, I’m happy to talk with you.

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3379.jpeg
    IMG_3379.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3381.jpeg
    IMG_3381.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3162.jpeg
    IMG_3162.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3081.jpeg
    IMG_3081.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    846.9 KB · Views: 6
I definitely agree. In some ways, I get it. Gamefowl have had a bad reputation for a long time now, the breeding, raising, amd caring of gamefowl seems strange to "outsiders"
The bottom line is this: if you’re willing to do the various strains justice, and breed them with preservation of “species” in mind, stay polite over the phone and have common sense as in; don’t ask questions that could lead to suspicion or self incrimination, then folks are willing to give you advice and impart years of wisdom. You cannot deny what gamefowl were bred for, but it’s not a crime to own, breed, or raise them, even though some would want that. So it’s up to folks to have common sense, be respectful, and maintain the various game strains; if that is their desire of course. You cannot find a better group of fowl. They’re the reason we have chickens.

The bottom line is this: if you’re willing to do the various strains justice, and breed them with preservation of “species” in mind, stay polite over the phone and have common sense as in; don’t ask questions that could lead to suspicion or self incrimination, then folks are willing to give you advice and impart years of wisdom. You cannot deny what gamefowl were bred for, but it’s not a crime to own, breed, or raise them, even though some would want that. So it’s up to folks to have common sense, be respectful, and maintain the various game strains; if that is their desire of course. You cannot find a better group of fowl. They’re the reason we have chickens.

I wholeheartedly agree. Getting in touch with knowledgeable people in the first place is hard. Respect is a must, but it's hard to find the experts in the first place. You are one of the very few people that offer up a way to get in contact. That by itself demands respect. They are indeed a very special branch of chickens. I have come to the realisation that my place in not yet set up in a way to support the breeding of these wonderful birds. I will always keep them, but I will enjoy their breeding from afar

I wholeheartedly agree. Getting in touch with knowledgeable people in the first place is hard. Respect is a must, but it's hard to find the experts in the first place. You are one of the very few people that offer up a way to get in contact. That by itself demands respect. They are indeed a very special branch of chickens. I have come to the realisation that my place in not yet set up in a way to support the breeding of these wonderful birds. I will always keep them, but I will enjoy their breeding from afar
I’ve found that old timers love to talk fowl. I don’t ask many questions, I listen. Every state in the US has quality gamefowl and gamefowl breeders.

If you want to breed them well, it would be best to stick with fewer strains, and have several pens/coops, in order to rotate accordingly and raise enough from one strain so as to properly select the next generation. Natural selection is a useful tool for me but cannot be relied upon. Hens also use sexual selection, particularly when free range. It’s your job to observe and select what you want out of each clutch. Cull undesirable fowl in cycles as needed.

Back
Top Bottom