Angel Wing Treatment

I am unsure if one of my young Muscovies has angel wing, or just heavy blood feathers making both wings droop and basically touch the ground at times. The blood feathers are huge and not yet fully feathered out. It can put its wings in a normal position, but when it lays down, it usually just lets the wings rest on the ground and flop however gravity takes them. I will try to get some good pics. to share here. I read that blood feathers can cause wings to droop for a week, but this has now been about 10 days of drooping and now I'm worried about angel wing. This Muscovy is now a couple of days past 9 weeks old.

I got vet wrap today and hubby is going out with me now to wrap both her wings as shown in the video. It won't hurt to help support her heavy blood feathers if it isn't angel wing, right?

Thank you to each of you and thanks for the wonderful video!

I am unsure if one of my young Muscovies has angel wing, or just heavy blood feathers making both wings droop and basically touch the ground at times. The blood feathers are huge and not yet fully feathered out. It can put its wings in a normal position, but when it lays down, it usually just lets the wings rest on the ground and flop however gravity takes them. I will try to get some good pics. to share here. I read that blood feathers can cause wings to droop for a week, but this has now been about 10 days of drooping and now I'm worried about angel wing. This Muscovy is now a couple of days past 9 weeks old.

I got vet wrap today and hubby is going out with me now to wrap both her wings as shown in the video. It won't hurt to help support her heavy blood feathers if it isn't angel wing, right?

Thank you to each of you and thanks for the wonderful video!
If the feathers are drooping to the ground, it’s just because of the heavy blood feathers. Their muscles will grow and then they will be able to hold them properly.:D

But if they are bending outwards away from the torso, that is angel wing.

Guys, I feel so horrible. I can’t stop crying. I must have wrapped his wing to tight and it’s all swollen and infected. It looks horrible!! I can’t believe I did this!!! I unwrapped it and started an antibiotic. Any other suggestions? This is a nightmare. I’m so upset with myself. He’s swimming now and eating and drinking. Is he going to loose the wing??

Guys, I feel so horrible. I can’t stop crying. I must have wrapped his wing to tight and it’s all swollen and infected. It looks horrible!! I can’t believe I did this!!! I unwrapped it and started an antibiotic. Any other suggestions? This is a nightmare. I’m so upset with myself. He’s swimming now and eating and drinking. Is he going to loose the wing??
So sorry, can you post some pictures of it?

If the feathers are drooping to the ground, it’s just because of the heavy blood feathers. Their muscles will grow and then they will be able to hold them properly.:D

But if they are bending outwards away from the torso, that is angel wing.

Thankfully, they just droop down and this only started when the bloodfeathers got big. I don’t believe it is angel wing, although it has worried me. The wings aren’t pointing outward at the ends, just seem too heavy to carry properly. I read that this can take about a week to resolve, but it has been about 10 days, so that made me worry even more. Yes, I am a worrier, evidently!

I’m so very sorry. I hope your duck recovers fully.

39624D28-7F67-45ED-A876-83D832F51702.jpeg
Here’s a photo. I started clavamox 125mg. It feels hot to touch. But he is acting normal; eating, drinking, swimming. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom