Any other hawaiians out there?

At least we don't have raccoons, hawks, coyotes, snakes, bears, weasels, opossums etc, etc. ETC!
Pretty lucky we live Hawaii 🌴😎🤙
Plus you are in a very exceptional spot @raingarden ... and you seem like a pretty smart and resourceful person.
I don't know anyone who has had a big problem with mongoose but there are a few folks from the BI and Maui that may have had to do some battles. Maybe they will chime in or you can start a specific thread.
The only predator I have to worry about is loose dogs and my chickens would have to be in the wrong spot to get harmed... and they do and it has happened. 🤦‍♀️🐔

Take some photos, draw some plans up. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

This morning I let Ivan out to stretch his legs. He is a bit of a dork, won't stay still etc. But he is a good boy and makes nice babies. He was doing well, charming the ladies... 😉😉😉
20211120_071647~2.jpg
20211120_071646~2.jpg
20211120_071728~2.jpg
20211120_071626.jpg

I was impressed! And then he got in his own way again...
20211120_074540.jpg
clearly it was time for him to be put back into his pen before he embarrassed himself further.. But gotta love the boy just the same.

Devastating news for Kauai feral chickens:

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/hdoa-mongoose-captured-on-kauai/article_1409c4b4-6877-11ec-8c40-739f7051e099.html#:~:text=Mongoose are not typically found on Kauai and,state’s toll-free pest number at (808) 643-PEST (7378).

At this point in history, you have to wonder how that could happen without human help. Did the mongoose stow away on a Young Brothers barge or a cruise ship? Or (more likely) did Mark Zuckerberg pay some bruddahs to do it?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/dec/28/mark-zuckerberg-110-acres-hawaii

Last edited:
Devastating news for Kauai feral chickens:

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/hdoa-mongoose-captured-on-kauai/article_1409c4b4-6877-11ec-8c40-739f7051e099.html#:~:text=Mongoose are not typically found on Kauai and,state’s toll-free pest number at (808) 643-PEST (7378).

At this point in history, you have to wonder how that could happen without human help. Did the mongoose stow away on a Young Brothers barge or a cruise ship? Or (more likely) did Mark Zuckerberg pay some bruddahs to do it?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/dec/28/mark-zuckerberg-110-acres-hawaii
Ewww! Yes, smuckerberg needed his twin weasel on island to scope out more acreage.. No love for zuck-us-all-berg. He has done far worse with bigger repercussions than mongoose. Makes me want to bathe in lysol just thinking about it.
Well, it is not the first spotted and trapped, obviously not the last. It is disappointing though. Kind of nice being Mongoose free.

I did chat with my step daughter and she said she never had any problems with the mongoose in your area.

My husband is losing his job here on Oahu before the end of the year and we've decided that we'll be better off relocating to the mainland for better opportunities and more social support. We've lined up a house to live in already but I cannot keep chickens there.

I have two lovely buff orpington hens that I need to rehome before we go. Both are laying eggs fairly regularly (one lays small eggs every other day and one lays large eggs every 2-3 days). They will be two years old in June 2023. I named them Bunsen and Beaker.

I will drive these two girls anywhere on Oahu if someone wants to take them!!
PXL_20220315_194112212.jpg

They don't *like* being handled or picked up but they tolerate it pretty well. They're very sweet gentle girls. Both of them have a clipped wing to prevent them from flying over my fence into my neighbors' yards. They free range all day within my backyard.

Bunsen is just recovering from a recent eye injury (scratched/pecked cornea) and might be blind in that eye, but her appetite is completely back and she's behaving normally again. I've been putting antibiotic eye cream in it but it's pretty much healed up already.

They also both have some amount of mites/lice from the wild zebra doves but I bought some permethrin and plan to dip them before rehoming.

If you can take them I will also bring a bucket of layer feed, a bag of mealworms, a bag of pine chip bedding, some ceramic eggs, and a bucket/nesting box they're trained to use. And the leftover permethrin, leftover antibiotic eye cream, some dewormer, and some wound spray to boot.

They're good egg layers, but if you plan to butcher/eat them someday that is totally fine with me... just don't tell me about it.

Please help me find a home for these lovely ladies... When I got them as chicks I thought we'd be in Hawaii for another ten years.

More pics can be found on my rehoming thread here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-two-buff-orpington-hens-oahu-hawaii.1562430/

Thank you for your time!

-Jam

My husband is losing his job here on Oahu before the end of the year and we've decided that we'll be better off relocating to the mainland for better opportunities and more social support. We've lined up a house to live in already but I cannot keep chickens there.

I have two lovely buff orpington hens that I need to rehome before we go. Both are laying eggs fairly regularly (one lays small eggs every other day and one lays large eggs every 2-3 days). They will be two years old in June 2023. I named them Bunsen and Beaker.

View attachment 3395912

They don't *like* being handled or picked up but they tolerate it pretty well. They're very sweet gentle girls. Both of them have a clipped wing to prevent them from flying over my fence into my neighbors' yards. They free range all day within my backyard.

Bunsen is just recovering from a recent eye injury (scratched/pecked cornea) and might be blind in that eye, but her appetite is completely back and she's behaving normally again. I've been putting antibiotic eye cream in it but it's pretty much healed up already.

They also both have some amount of mites/lice from the wild zebra doves but I bought some permethrin and plan to dip them before rehoming.

If you can take them I will also bring a bucket of layer feed, a bag of mealworms, a bag of pine chip bedding, some ceramic eggs, and a bucket/nesting box they're trained to use. And the leftover permethrin, leftover antibiotic eye cream, some dewormer, and some wound spray to boot.

They're good egg layers, but if you plan to butcher/eat them someday that is totally fine with me... just don't tell me about it.

Please help me find a home for these lovely ladies... When I got them as chicks I thought we'd be in Hawaii for another ten years.

More pics can be found on my rehoming thread here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-two-buff-orpington-hens-oahu-hawaii.1562430/

Thank you for your time!

-Jam

I'm interested! I just sent you a private message.

View attachment 3395912

Thank you for your time!

-Jam
I can't figure out how to edit this post but I wanted to update and say that I found a home for these two! They're being rehomed tonight.

Back
Top Bottom