Any other hawaiians out there?

Hoping any members we have on Maui (or families of members) are safe...sending out prayers for you all. :hugs
We appreciate that. ♡♡♡ Much needed but help is on the way.
Good god bless Lahaina and all who walked its charming streets. Prayers to the families who have lost so much, our hearts, our Aloha is with you now and always.

We appreciate that. ♡♡♡ Much needed but help is on the way.
Good god bless Lahaina and all who walked its charming streets. Prayers to the families who have lost so much, our hearts, our Aloha is with you now and always.
:( :hugs Lahaina was one of the 'Special' places - so sad for the loss of lives/homes/history

Flying out Tuesday, Kauai - Maui, to spend the day with my boy. Change his scenery, have some lunch, chat, get him anything he may need but mostly hope he wants to come home with me. He is in the MWM in Wailuku, an escapee from Lahaina. Lost it all but hanging in there. Have lost contact with a few friends.... worrisome. Only 3% has been sifted through as of yesterday. 🙏🙏🙏

Flying out Tuesday, Kauai - Maui, to spend the day with my boy. Change his scenery, have some lunch, chat, get him anything he may need but mostly hope he wants to come home with me. He is in the MWM in Wailuku, an escapee from Lahaina. Lost it all but hanging in there. Have lost contact with a few friends.... worrisome. Only 3% has been sifted through as of yesterday. 🙏🙏🙏

It's nice you'll be able to spend some time with your son, he'll probably be very glad to see a family face. Hope you hear from your friends soon.

Aloha,

Iʻve been looking for other BYC people who are living in Hawaii or similar climates to share their tropical experience with their flocks. Any takers?

Mahalo!
I'm on Oahu (Mililani Town) and desperately need help with pen and run.
Warning: long post... In mid-October, I am purchasing 5 young hens, and I am super excited. Problem is I thought I had purchased an appropriate sized coop/run, but I have since learned it will be too small. I am sharing pictures of the area I have for my little flock. The dimensions are: tall fence between houses is 7 ft. The entire area is more than 30 ft long. The width is 82", 38 of which are paved. The gate that leads to the front yard is 5 ft. The shorter gate that leads to our patio and pool in back is 3 ft tall.
Can I safely let them free range, or do I need a run? Should I purchase or try to build? How about coop/nesting boxes and roosting areas/bars? I can't spend thousands of dollars. Any and all suggestions welcome! I'm beginning to feel really dumb for believing manufacturers claims on coop I bought from Home Depot.

Attachments

• yard 2.jpg
    yard 2.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 4
  • yard 3.jpg
    yard 3.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 4
  • yard 4.jpg
    yard 4.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 3
  • yard 5.jpg
    yard 5.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 3
  • yard1.jpg
    yard1.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm on Oahu (Mililani Town) and desperately need help with pen and run.
Warning: long post... In mid-October, I am purchasing 5 young hens, and I am super excited. Problem is I thought I had purchased an appropriate sized coop/run, but I have since learned it will be too small. I am sharing pictures of the area I have for my little flock. The dimensions are: tall fence between houses is 7 ft. The entire area is more than 30 ft long. The width is 82", 38 of which are paved. The gate that leads to the front yard is 5 ft. The shorter gate that leads to our patio and pool in back is 3 ft tall.
Can I safely let them free range, or do I need a run? Should I purchase or try to build? How about coop/nesting boxes and roosting areas/bars? I can't spend thousands of dollars. Any and all suggestions welcome! I'm beginning to feel really dumb for believing manufacturers claims on coop I bought from Home Depot.
Well, you probably could let them wander as long as it is safe for them. Sometimes it is nice to contain them to certain areas because of poop 💩 and they eat everything in sight. Husband's get fussy about those sorts of things, lol. So, maybe a goal could be to put a gate from fence to house.
How old are your girls? If chicks you will need to keep them very safe and a HD coop will work for the first few months.

For the long run, the good news is we are in the tropics so you don't need a big expensive closed in coop. It can just be studs and a roof. If you want to lock them in, chicken wire and siding only to protect them from wind and rain.
I like to recycle materials and build as I go. Check craigslist. Can find some decent coops on that or used materials. Just make sure chooks are dry and safe and they won't complain. ♡ unless you get the picky variety of chickens.
Congratulations on your almost new flock and welcome to byc!!

Well, you probably could let them wander as long as it is safe for them. Sometimes it is nice to contain them to certain areas because of poop 💩 and they eat everything in sight. Husband's get fussy about those sorts of things, lol. So, maybe a goal could be to put a gate from fence to house.
How old are your girls? If chicks you will need to keep them very safe and a HD coop will work for the first few months.

For the long run, the good news is we are in the tropics so you don't need a big expensive closed in coop. It can just be studs and a roof. If you want to lock them in, chicken wire and siding only to protect them from wind and rain.
I like to recycle materials and build as I go. Check craigslist. Can find some decent coops on that or used materials. Just make sure chooks are dry and safe and they won't complain. ♡ unless you get the picky variety of chickens.
Congratulations on your almost new flock and welcome to byc!!
Girls are about 4 months. I think I will put some hardware wire and stakes to keep them off the paved area and contained to the dirt/grassy area and plant some herbs/veggies/grass. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom