Any reason on why not to use cattle panels for the run?

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
South Louisiana
Probably getting 11 hens
Cool and run under oak trees
Coop at night, run during day, free range when I get home from work.

I am in the planning phase of my coop and run. I know I want a 8x8 coop with prob a 10x20 run. I have been doing a lot of reading and research and just trying to figure it out.

I saw this idea and think it is very practical. Looks very easy to set up too. I would use this for the run only.

What are the pros and cons with this from a seasoned chicken owner?
1683647713227.jpeg

That looks like a very sturdy structure.
One problem you might find is that the tarp will give shade and protect from rain, but it can get pretty stuffy under the tarp. Could raise the bottom edges of tarp to allow more ventilation.
^ very much this. I have a couple hoop tunnels just for a little extra covered room in the winter & I have to pull the plastic all the way back in the summer & put up shade cloth because it gets SO hot under there.

^ very much this. I have a couple hoop tunnels just for a little extra covered room in the winter & I have to pull the plastic all the way back in the summer & put up shade cloth because it gets SO hot under there.

Here in South Louisiana it’s gets stifling hot- extremely humid.

Do you think pulling up the sides is enough? Would the stuffiness still be caught underneath at the top or would it be wise to create a kind of chimney type facet letting the heat come out of the top? Going to be under shade trees fro 11:00-3:00, so won’t be extremely bad.

Back
Top Bottom