Anyone know the sex of my silkies? Both 11weeks. Please note my blue one (1st pic)has a vaulted skull. Feather growth is only coming through now

MamaHenSA

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2024
1000154346.jpg
1000154333.jpg

Silkies are known for being difficult to definitively sex until they are around 5 months old, but we're all 50% correct until then. ☺️

Sometimes cockerels crow as early as 3 months, but pullets won't lay until they're around 8-10 months.

Back to your question though, I see no streamers yet so I lean pullet just based on that. What's the comb look like? That again is tough as I have a silkie hen everyone would guess was a roo if that's all they could see of her, but the silkie cockerels usually get what's called a walnut comb, kind of wide and squished.

Silkies are known for being difficult to definitively sex until they are around 5 months old, but we're all 50% correct until then. ☺️

Sometimes cockerels crow as early as 3 months, but pullets won't lay until they're around 8-10 months.

Back to your question though, I see no streamers yet so I lean pullet just based on that. What's the comb look like? That again is tough as I have a silkie hen everyone would guess was a roo if that's all they could see of her, but the silkie cockerels usually get what's called a walnut comb, kind of wide and squished.
I will post some better pics in the morning. 50 % correct is so true 😂 as long as they identify as pullets I'm super happy

Back
Top Bottom