are all Wyandotte's mean?

BUG126

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
WA State
We have 5 GLW's and they are all MEAN!! Our SLW isnt too bad, pretty shy actually. What gives? If they dont straighten up they will be looking for a new home.

Quote:
Well they're chickens, not rowdy six year olds. I doubt giving them 'time out' will do much.

Im surprised, though, as the Wy is one of the more docile breeds. But each breed can harbor individual strains that pretty much run outside the norm, and you may be dealing wth one of these.
If I were to make suggestions, they would be to ride it out and let them be.
YMMV, of course.

I have 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes(4 boys, 2 girls) and they are not mean...but they are nutty.
big_smile.png
The girls are friendly but spastic, and the boys are bonkers. I like them, but they are far from being cuddly lap chickens!

If I were to make suggestions, they would be to ride it out and let them be.
YMMV, of course.

Thats the plan for now, hopefully things will settle down as they get older, they are 16 weeks. They are constantly attacking the other's, I understand the pecking order thing, but wow. All they have to do is look at another pullet and it takes off running scared and then the chase is on! Feathers being pulled, combs being yanked on. We have 15 square feet per bird, which I thought we be enough space, especially since 15 are bantams (which they dont pick on??), but maybe not.​

I had a few silver laced wyandotte roos a couple of years ago that would just attack me as soon as I walked in the barn. They didn't last very long after they started that.

I have 1 GLW chick and she is absolutely the friendliest chick out of the bunch. She was hatched/raised in my niece's 5th grade classroom. She was handled so much by all the kids. They would all take turns taking the chicks home on the weekends. She is by far, my favorite!
love.gif

My experience is similar to the OP.

I have two GLW and two SLW (from Meyer hatchery as day olds)

The GLWs are aloof and standoffish - always have been, and these are our original chickens that were the most handled as youngsters. Not 'mean' but just not human-friendly.

My SLWs are pretty sweet. They will come up for treats - not as friendly as some of my others, but not so quick to dart away if you reach out to touch them.

My favs are my Dominques for temperment.

And for just plain ole nuttiness, get yourselves some Campines.

Back
Top Bottom