are all Wyandotte's mean?

Hi! My experience was completely opposite with my only (Silver laced) Wyandottes. I got them in an IDEAL order in '05 and they were beautiful birds, but there is no need to squat for every single thing that makes a shadow!! They were too laid back and were the 'door-mats' of the flock.
Lol, Campines! I love my Campines! If you can give them a year, they *can* calm down
smile.png
They act like freaks for the first year, but I can let my older Camp' girls out now to 'graze' and walk them back to their pen (they aren't especially cuddly, just more tolerant of me. hey make up by being vocal. They have a strident voice and 'talk' more than any other chicken here.)

Quote:
All of mine were,,,, they ended up as soup,,,,,,,but I dont do that anymore,,,,I rehome them to pet homes,,,,but I am through through with Wyandottes,,,,for now.
hmm.png

I have 3 GLW and 6 campines I recieved from Meyer (well actually 9 campines, 3 died after about 3 weeks - had some type of digestion/intestinal problems that I couldn't cure). They are all about 8 weeks old now and love to free range outside. It is hard for me to gauge their temperment at this point, but they seem to take after the campines (fear/hesitant of me, but curious). They do love yoguart (especially the campines - I have never seen chickens that are so willing to get their head almost fully covered by yoguart when dipping their beaks/heads in to eat it
gig.gif
), so I do get to pet the campines and GLW's a little bit when they are distracted by the food.

It amazes me how well the campines can fly at such a young age (they are already perching in my barn on metal bars that run between my barn stalls at the height of about 7-8 ft
tongue.png
).

Z

Last edited:
We have GLW, SLW and BLRW.

The SLW are very friendly, the BLRW slightly less so, and the GLW the most skittish, but none are "mean" in any way. They all stick together by color, which I think is kind of strange. All of our colors/breeds seem to self-segregate.

We had two BLRW roos. One was very skittish and wouldn't settle down in your arms for about five minutes. The other one was sweeter and, although he didn't want to be picked up, settled down immediately. Neither seemed to pick on the hens.

I had Golden, Silver, and Blue-laced Red Wyandottes. All the hens were awesome. But my roosters always seemed to have some problems.

The SLW rooster had some serious dominance issues. I could just open the gate and 3 out of 5 times he would come running to spur me. I would just scoop him up and hold onto him the whole time I worked in the breed pen if he was having a bad day. Sometimes I could set him back down and he got the picture but he always wanted to get a parting shot when I stepped out. And for weeks the pair of Black Spanish turkeys I put in with them were terrified. The first morning I walked down to check on them they were cowering in the corner next to the house, and if they moved he would drive them back in the corner. It was insane because these are full grown turkeys.

The GLW rooster was a little species confused. I had him in with what I thought was two hens although one wasn't quite right. He liked to chase the ducks around and breed with them when those two pens were out free-ranging in the afternoon. And he had a horrible attitude. So I gave him away. The next day the odd looking hen started to crow, bulked up, developed his comb and wattles, and started being a rooster. He was a doll. He had to have been 6 months or so though when he really developed.

One of the BLRW was a great roo. Good to me and good to the hens. One of the other ones was nice to me and the hens he had, but if you added any pullets or hens to his breed pen he would corner them and he and his original hens would pick on the new comers. So he only ever had his original girls. The other boys got all the new blood.

My mother got 6 SLWs and when they grew up they ganged up on each of her other, non SLW chickens and killed them, one by one.

Back
Top Bottom