Are groundhogs predators?

No I don't think they're a danger to chickens. not sure they would even steal eggs - they are more herbivorous and less tempted by eggs/chicks than most other rodents. Kind of like a big hairy goose.

their hide is good for drum and banjo heads, very strong for it's thickness.

Good to know. We have discovered a groundhog making his/her way into my yard heading for my garden. He approached the yard three times while I sat enjoying the morning. Each time I had my dog bark in that general direction.
Put out moth balls but will go get some castor oil granulated version.

I know this is an old post however I have lost 6 bantams that were 12 weeks old. Not a single feather could be found. The fence from the coop was torn off in the corner. We also have meat chickens which are much larger. One of the meaties died 3 days ago and we put the carcass in a live trap inside the small coup. This morning there is a groundhog with feathers in it's mouth. I thought it would be an opossum or raccoon but there is no mistaking it. I think this one fell off the vegan wagon, but it is definitely a chicken eating groundhog. I know there will be a lot of skepticism but it happens. Evidently I don't know how to reply as I edited the original comment, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom