Are silkie eggs to sensitive to candle?

tjmb1414

Chirping
Jan 18, 2022
Good Morning,
I’m incubating for the first time with silkie eggs. Should I candle them? I’ve heard they’re tough to incubate and some people don’t candle. However, I’m worried about bacteria and removal of bad eggs. Insight is much appreciated! 🐣
Thank yo8,
Tracey

Good Morning,
I’m incubating for the first time with silkie eggs. Should I candle them? I’ve heard they’re tough to incubate and some people don’t candle. However, I’m worried about bacteria and removal of bad eggs. Insight is much appreciated! 🐣
Thank yo8,
Tracey
Candling is fine, won't hurt them. They do, do better when incubated at a lower temperature though, from what I discovered over the years of breeding Silkies.
Between 98.5°F - 97.5°F, of course 99.5°F maximum. Had fewer DIS(Dead In Shell)

I ordered recently from a professional breeder and he said not to candle them because they are so delicate. I wouldn't candle until majority of chicks have hatched and you don't see much movement.

I ordered recently from a professional breeder and he said not to candle them because they are so delicate. I wouldn't candle until majority of chicks have hatched and you don't see much movement.
Candling Silkie eggs is 100% fine. I candle mine routinely like all other chickens I've hatched.

I don't know where this Silkie Eggs are more delicate comes from.

So the eggs survived the jostling of shipping but are too delicate to survive being gently picked up? I've never heard this before.
Silkies are still hardy chickens despite everyone treating them like lap dogs.

I candled mine and they turned out just fine. I didn't know that some say not to candle silkie eggs. I mean silkies are still chickens just like any other chicken and so are their eggs. I don't know I might be wrong.
That's true, they are just chickens, like any other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom