TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
I took these chicks from mama hen tonight because she has a staggered bunch.. plus it's going to be chilly. I have this set up (see pictures) inside our summer dog pool. It worked for me last year, however, I didn't have the brooder & there were loads more chicks to help keep each other warm.

Will this keep them warm enough?! Is the broader low enough? I thought any lower & they may not like getting under it. 😕 It's pretty toasty inside the pool, however the shop stays in the 50-60s. They dont seem to be shivering or anything (as a matter of fact, they're spread out under the brooder right now).

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220111_184757.jpg
    20220111_184757.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220111_185025.jpg
    20220111_185025.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220111_184747.jpg
    20220111_184747.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 6
I would use one or the other. They don't need a lamp and a brooder plate. I would take the lamp out, and watch them under the plate. If they're huddling under it its likely to cold. If they're zipping in and out, I bet the temp is fine. The plate should be low enough they can just touch it with their backs.
I am concerned about the hight of the pool though. I looks like something they will find a way to jump out of.
Also, why did you take the chicks away from momma? You should give them back, and get an incubator. Then take the unhitched eggs instead of the chicks. This system is much easier on the hen, and its so much fun to watch babies hatch!

I would use one or the other. They don't need a lamp and a brooder plate. I would take the lamp out, and watch them under the plate. If they're huddling under it its likely to cold. If they're zipping in and out, I bet the temp is fine. The plate should be low enough they can just touch it with their backs.
I am concerned about the hight of the pool though. I looks like something they will find a way to jump out of.
Also, why did you take the chicks away from momma? You should give them back, and get an incubator. Then take the unhitched eggs instead of the chicks. This system is much easier on the hen, and its so much fun to watch babies hatch!
I removed them from her because she's not interested in taking them out to eat & drink. ☹ She's only interested in sitting on the remaining eggs. Even if I take them away, she stays & eventually lays a new one. I can take them back out to her during the day, but I think it may be too cold at night & they definitely need to get out & eat/drink.

I removed them from her because she's not interested in taking them out to eat & drink. ☹ She's only interested in sitting on the remaining eggs. Even if I take them away, she stays & eventually lays a new one. I can take them back out to her during the day, but I think it may be too cold at night & they definitely need to get out & eat/drink.
That makes sense, sounds like momma isn't to concerned then. You've got a good system it seems. :)
I wouldn't worry about the chill, mom does a fantastic job at keeping them warm. Eating and drinking is a concern though. Nice work!

Chicks absorb the yolk on the 18th and 19th day. This is enough for them to keep going for 3 days if needed. Though they do get significantly weaker on that 3rd day. It's why it is possible for chicks to be shipped. You needn't worry about her not taking them out to eat and drink in the first couple of days. She will most likely give up hope if none hatch and abandon the nest in oder to care for the chicks. If not, this is the time where you will need to take them under your 'wing'.

Becuase she is sitting on her own eggs, that will likely hatch much later, you made the right decision.

Last edited:
I took these chicks from mama hen tonight because she has a staggered bunch.. plus it's going to be chilly. I have this set up (see pictures) inside our summer dog pool. It worked for me last year, however, I didn't have the brooder & there were loads more chicks to help keep each other warm.

Will this keep them warm enough?! Is the broader low enough? I thought any lower & they may not like getting under it. 😕 It's pretty toasty inside the pool, however the shop stays in the 50-60s. They dont seem to be shivering or anything (as a matter of fact, they're spread out under the brooder right now).

Any advice is appreciated!
If the chicks are spread around the outside of the brooder, panting, their too hot. If the chicks are huddled around the heat source their too cold. If evenly spread out, looking active, you've found the optimum temperature. Like @Weeg already stated, your chicks will soon be flying out of the brooder. Which of course, is best avoided. Good luck.

x2. If they're all really spread out, they may be too warm and trying to get away from each other to cool down. Just a plate is sufficient as long as it's functioning correctly (warm to touch) and big enough for all the chicks to fit underneath.

As far as how high to have it, the usual suggestion on here is to set it so it's taller on one side and lower on the other - you want it so chicks can stand up under the taller side, but be able to lie down under the lower side, all while touching the plate.

Back
Top Bottom