3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Hey there -- In a little less than 2 months, I'll have 3 ducklings & 2 goslings arriving. While I'm beyond excited, I feel like I'm studying for the SATs all over again. I'm planning on building out their area behind my house, its spaced out to be around 50x60(ish) and is mostly tree-covered. My plan is 4ft. electric fencing day/night and a predator-proof coop with a small run that they can access in the morning via automatic door until being let out. On the inside of the electric fencing will be chicken wire to keep the silly birds from sticking their necks through it.

My main concern is hawks, we have several in the area and from what I've read they like open areas to swoop down (which is the rest of my yard). Thoughts to resolve this are some bushes in front of this area and a tall pole with flagging to block the opening. Unfortunately, we have way too many songbirds to do bird netting. Attached a lil sketch to show what I'm talking about, their pool area isn't included because where I originally planned it going had a huge gap in the tree line above it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Duck_Yard_Back.jpg
    Duck_Yard_Back.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Duck_Yard_Front.jpg
    Duck_Yard_Front.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
One day I watched a hawk follow a rabbit around a tree, about 18 inches off the ground, completely circled the tree, and used such subtle movements that it appeared to not flap its' wings once.

They are extremely versatile and agile, they can fold their wings in and drop in and out of large gaps.

I do not think your plan will work. You could try hanging CDs and shiny things to reflect light . These things might, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You could also use larger netting, like 2" and the songbirds came still come and go. The little birds here go right through 1x2 openings, even on the ground, with no issues.

One day I watched a hawk follow a rabbit around a tree, about 18 inches off the ground, completely circled the tree, and used such subtle movements that it appeared to not flap its' wings once.

They are extremely versatile and agile, they can fold their wings in and drop in and out of large gaps.

I do not think your plan will work. You could try hanging CDs and shiny things to reflect light . These things might, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You could also use larger netting, like 2" and the songbirds came still come and go. The little birds here go right through 1x2 openings, even on the ground, with no issues.

Ahh that's what I was afraid of hearing but better safe than sorry as we're looking for our birds to be more pets than anything else. I'll look into the larger bird netting, I'm guessing the brighter the color the easier it is for larger songbirds to avoid?

I'll look into the larger bird netting, I'm guessing the brighter the color the easier it is for larger songbirds to avoid?

I am not educated enough in bird vision to answer this :)

I use black because it's least expensive and readily available. I started with some inexpensive Bird-X from Ace Hardware (~$20 for 14' x 45') and it works well but has tiny openings and does tear pretty easily, since it's such a tight grid the small birds come through the side fence (which is 1" x 2").

I have 2" heavier netting for portability and durability. I am not sure this Bird-X would last a single snow storm and it "sticks" to everything so moving it is not an option. What I mean by "sticks" is everything seems to get caught in it, like the little tab at the top of a baseball hat, it will pull the hat right off my head! :D

Yeah, that is a struggle I'm having. Right now our yard looks great after many years of hard work to get it there. Kind hate the idea of ruining it, but also hate the idea of finding the birds eaten up.
The black should work fine, it has for many others.

Back
Top Bottom