At what age do a tom start to gobble?????

black star

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
I have 5 standard bronze toms , they are about 5 months and just wondering .At what age do a tom start to gobble?????

My young ones don't gobble unless I sit and make noises to excite them, they are a bit over 3 months. Another month or so and they will be gobbling a lot.

I have some 8 week old Narragansett poults. They are already doing a "pre puberty" gobble. Kinda funny to hear.

My neighbors Tom gobbled for the first time the other day when I was at his house. He's 3 1/2 months old. Mine is 4 months with no gobble. Sigh. I tried playing YouTube for him and he freaked out running all over and pecking the other turkey (female). I'm questioning his gender. Lol

My Bourbon Red Tom is 4 months and still chirps... No gobble. He is uninterested in my 2 bourbon red hens and my broad breasted bronze hen. He keeps going for my naked neck hens. They are not enjoying his attention as he will crush them!

My Bourbon Red Tom is 4 months and still chirps... No gobble. He is uninterested in my 2 bourbon red hens and my broad breasted bronze hen. He keeps going for my naked neck hens. They are not enjoying his attention as he will crush them!
Are you saying you are housing chickens with turkeys? Was the male raised with chickens? Turkeys that imprint or become too familiar with chickens can be deadly to them.

Are you saying you are housing chickens with turkeys? Was the male raised with chickens? Turkeys that imprint or become too familiar with chickens can be deadly to them.
Yes I have 1 tom and 3 hens being raised in a flock of hens and roosters. The young Tom imprinted on my alpacas and mostly follows them around.

Yes I have 1 tom and 3 hens being raised in a flock of hens and roosters. The young Tom imprinted on my alpacas and mostly follows them around.
I did that once, than the toms killed a rooster during a dominance fight. I no longer let them bond to chickens. Turkeys often will see everyone as the same species. Turkeys are emotional birds that will fight for days on end sometimes. I personally would separate out your turkeys before you end up with problems. I tend to be over cautious, but turkeys are strong birds.

I will keep my eye on him. So far he is a big love but once the hormones kick in it could be a different story. They have 2+ acres of roam space and everyone but the Tom go into the coop at night. He sits on the fence...

Back
Top Bottom