Attaching hardware cloth skirts

Witchychickens

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Central MA
I am at the point where we are ready to attach a hardware cloth skirt around the base of the run and coop.

I want to use staples I can hammer in, I am doing this myself and don’t have access to power tools or the skills to use them. My husband will be attaching composite trim boards over for securing and looks.

What kind of staples? Poultry fencing staples say they cannot be used with pressure treated lumber and that’s what we have as the base.

Hot dip galvanized 3/4" poultry staples can be hammered into pressure treated lumber. They sell the Grip Rite brand at Lowe's and they will work just fine.
These are what I use. I space them around 4"s but I alternate the spacing with the HC 4" spacing that's stapled to the run bottom so that if something small does bend it out there's another staple there.

Sounds like you got the answer you needed but I'll add my method in case somebody else reads your thread. For wire to wire connections I use J-Clips or hog rings close enough together that nothing can squeeze through. Some people weave a length of wire through them or twist them together with short pieces of wire.

For hardware cloth to wood, some people use wood screws (suitable for pressure treated wood if it applies) with large galvanized fender washers. The fender washers need to be large enough to hold the hardware cloth. But I don't do that. I use a furring strip, about 3/4" thick and 1-1/2" wide, and screw those through holes in the hardware cloth and covering the edges of the hardware cloth so I cover the sharp edges. I'm kind of clumsy, I have been known to cut myself on the ends of hardware cloth. I make my furring strips with a table saw out of 2x4's.

My husband will be attaching composite trim boards over for securing and looks.
:thumbsup Similar to my furring strips. Yours will be doubly strong and really secure. And the wire edges are covered.

There are always different ways to do about anything. Just choose an option that suits you. Good luck!

Sounds like you got the answer you needed but I'll add my method in case somebody else reads your thread. For wire to wire connections I use J-Clips or hog rings close enough together that nothing can squeeze through. Some people weave a length of wire through them or twist them together with short pieces of wire.

For hardware cloth to wood, some people use wood screws (suitable for pressure treated wood if it applies) with large galvanized fender washers. The fender washers need to be large enough to hold the hardware cloth. But I don't do that. I use a furring strip, about 3/4" thick and 1-1/2" wide, and screw those through holes in the hardware cloth and covering the edges of the hardware cloth so I cover the sharp edges. I'm kind of clumsy, I have been known to cut myself on the ends of hardware cloth. I make my furring strips with a table saw out of 2x4's.

:thumbsup Similar to my furring strips. Yours will be doubly strong and really secure. And the wire edges are covered.

There are always different ways to do about anything. Just choose an option that suits you. Good luck!
Thank you! I think that’s why o struggle so much with making this coop. Too many ways to skin a cat in this case. We made huge progress this weekend!

He has it weather proof! I ordered the hardware cloth in the widths and lengths, I ordered materials to finish the interior this week and I am going to do the skirts. He wants to be here for the run HWC because of how tall the run is.

I’m going to post a pic because I am so proud of my design and his work!

Attachments

• 6AAFAC75-2E38-4207-A542-23C493B8B7CF.jpeg
    6AAFAC75-2E38-4207-A542-23C493B8B7CF.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2CE0C40E-97F8-4491-B42D-BCB0CDEC3A11.jpeg
    2CE0C40E-97F8-4491-B42D-BCB0CDEC3A11.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 7521A93F-7730-409B-9157-D809BC6BD605.jpeg
    7521A93F-7730-409B-9157-D809BC6BD605.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 16
  • BDCD23B3-CA33-4EB1-B55F-F9B103E2AF37.jpeg
    BDCD23B3-CA33-4EB1-B55F-F9B103E2AF37.jpeg