Attaching hardware cloth

Logar

Songster
Mar 31, 2024
So I recently got a coop (a large overEZ) and have been working on modifying it. I have done most of the things that are needed, well a lot wasn’t needed but is useful, but I still need to reinforce the windows as the only have window screen as “protection” when it is open. I am thinking of using mending plates/braces/brackets or what ever else you want to call them. Would this work well? It just seems like a slightly more cost efficient and a bit easier as well.

So I recently got a coop (a large overEZ) and have been working on modifying it. I have done most of the things that are needed, well a lot wasn’t needed but is useful, but I still need to reinforce the windows as the only have window screen as “protection” when it is open. I am thinking of using mending plates/braces/brackets or what ever else you want to call them. Would this work well? It just seems like a slightly more cost efficient and a bit easier as well.
Did you open up the eaves front and back for ventilation?

Curious about these plates.
Any washer is only as good as the screw that holds it in place.

mending plates/braces/brackets
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Could you post a photo or link? I don't like to guess with something like this.

I use a furring strip. I rip them out of a 2x4 so they are 1-1/2" wide and about 3/4" thick. Drill a pilot hole so nothing splits. Use wood screws and put them through some openings in the hardware cloth. Clamp them down tight and the hardware cloth is going nowhere. Plus the sharp ends of the wire are safely covered.

I'm not quite sure how you are planning to use the mending plates - were you just going to sandwich the HC between those and the wood frame? If so, for the price of two plates you can buy a whole stick of lumber and make furring strips for a continuous perimeter holding it down. Alternatively, you can also use screws with washers, staples, etc.

IMG_2030.jpeg

Like this lol. I would have used lumber to make a frame but I was trying to keep it the least bulky as possible as coop space is tight and it would just be one more thing for me to be bumping into

Back
Top Bottom