ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Auction ends 2/12/14 12:00 AM EST

Pick up only Aiken, SC

Please do not bid if you are unwilling or unable to pick up chicks.

Payment due within 24 hrs of auction end. (PayPal only please)

Chicks must be picked up within 10 days of auction end.

This is an auction for 5 (five) straight-run blue and splash fibromelanotic single comb chicks, hatched 2/4/14. These are large fowl and will lay a light brown / tan egg.

edit:
I guess I'm supposed to tell you to place your bids here ; )

These are THE 5 chicks:
e8875256_2414002.jpeg

And I should show you some of the adults:
d454820f-b241-4b4b-acb7-8268dd09a706_zps768aa1a7.jpg

2414012_zps38257f94.jpg
2414006_zps0226080a.jpg

2414013_zps03610b0d.jpg

Last edited:
Background breeding? I made them.
The original project was Fibromelanotic Naked Neck Green-Eggers aka 'the build-a-buzzard' project. The single comb Fm birds from the project were so awesome, I decided to work on those too.

Very cool. The FM gene fascinates me. I am not rich enough to get into Ayam Cemani or Svart Hona but other sources of the FM gene are not so expensive. I am going to order some of the Huastec eggs from Grannychick55 for the Easter Hatch-along or the Cinco de Mayo Hatch-along.

I'm not rich enough either : )
In winter of 2004, I was looking through a Poultry Catalog my brother brought me, and marveling at all the unusual chicken breeds available --- most of which I'd never seen before.
I said it would be neat to have a chicken that has black skin (like the Silkie), frizzled feathers (like the frizzle Cochin), a naked neck (like the Naked Neck Turken),
lays colored eggs (like the Ameraucana / Araucana), and is big (like the Jersey Giant).
I said "I think *I* will make some". My brother said, "Bet'cha can't".
And just like that --- a chicken project was born.
I already won the bet : )
I had never heard of Ayam Cemani or Svart Hona chickens. These just happen to look similar to them, except also come in blue and splash.

Good luck with your Huastec eggs. Those sound interesting.

I'm not rich enough either : )
In winter of 2004, I was looking through a Poultry Catalog my brother brought me, and marveling at all the unusual chicken breeds available --- most of which I'd never seen before.
I said it would be neat to have a chicken that has black skin (like the Silkie), frizzled feathers (like the frizzle Cochin), a naked neck (like the Naked Neck Turken),
lays colored eggs (like the Ameraucana / Araucana), and is big (like the Jersey Giant).
I said "I think *I* will make some". My brother said, "Bet'cha can't".
And just like that --- a chicken project was born.
I already won the bet : )
I had never heard of Ayam Cemani or Svart Hona chickens. These just happen to look similar to them, except also come in blue and splash.

Good luck with your Huastec eggs. Those sound interesting.
These are the Huastec. They are black skinned and boned but the males do have dark red to regular red faces. Most of the females are black like in this picture but a few have a very dark version of wheaten. Sorry I don't have a picture of that color.

This is the lighter version of the males color pattern. Notice that his comb and wattles are much darker than the others even though he is a lighter pattern.

This is the darker version of there color pattern. They are cooperative breeders and can be run in braces of three roos to about six females and the roos work to guard both hens and chicks. The egg colors range from pale blue and a tan color one of the hens (these are GrannyChicks55 chickens) lays a sand color with a pale purple spots and some lay a pale green and a tea color. They are also crested.

I love the way the the roos carry their tails like banners. When they are head up and tail high profile shot they look like stylized hearts.

Will you be selling eggs later?

Last edited:
Oh --- if chicks continue hatching like this generation of chicks are hatching, I will be confident enough to offer eggs for sale. I wouldn't want to offer out eggs until I was sure they are breeding true. Funny things can pop out, like with any new line, but I hatch almost every egg they lay (except I was loading the incubator tonight and dropped 2 eggs !@#$##$), and I haven't seen anything but true.

Oh --- if chicks continue hatching like this generation of chicks are hatching, I will be confident enough to offer eggs for sale. I wouldn't want to offer out eggs until I was sure they are breeding true. Funny things can pop out, like with any new line, but I hatch almost every egg they lay (except I was loading the incubator tonight and dropped 2 eggs !@#$##$), and I haven't seen anything but true.

Cool, I will keep my eye out for them and if you offer any of the "buzzard" birds that lay green too. Gotta feed the addiction you know.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom