Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
My condolences to everyone on the East Coast, or, at this point, east of the Mississippi river, and north of Alabama - looks like you are all in the guns for this thing as it spreads north and westward.

I would ask that you extend your own sypathies this fall, when it comes back southward and doesn't stop till the birds reach thewir winter grounds...

My condolences to everyone on the East Coast, or, at this point, east of the Mississippi river, and north of Alabama - looks like you are all in the guns for this thing as it spreads north and westward.

I would ask that you extend your own sypathies this fall, when it comes back southward and doesn't stop till the birds reach thewir winter grounds...
You're here on the East Coast too, right ☹️

This is really scary. All of my boys are getting stir crazy being up because of the hawk attack last Saturday. I was thinking about letting them run around some tomorrow while I was outside with them. Even my rooster that was attacked is starting to get stir crazy. I feel like I should rethink this, not because of the hawk, but because of the risk of HPAI, especially since wild Canada Geese walk all around my property looking for me in hopes that I'll feed them. With the geese being asymptomatic carriers, this is so tough. Of course that's what makes this so dangerous. Like I mentioned before, I skipped some tough decisions in the past and it's coming back to bite me now. Here's hoping that things will go back to the normal that we knew 3-4 years ago, very soon!

You're here on the East Coast too, right ☹️

This is really scary. All of my boys are getting stir crazy being up because of the hawk attack last Saturday. I was thinking about letting them run around some tomorrow while I was outside with them. Even my rooster that was attacked is starting to get stir crazy. I feel like I should rethink this, not because of the hawk, but because of the risk of HPAI, especially since wild Canada Geese walk all around my property looking for me in hopes that I'll feed them. With the geese being asymptomatic carriers, this is so tough. Of course that's what makes this so dangerous. Like I mentioned before, I skipped some tough decisions in the past and it's coming back to bite me now. Here's hoping that things will go back to the normal that we knew 3-4 years ago, very soon!
I am, but I'm in the FL Panhandle - apart form those two inexplicable cases in Miami-area, the disease has all been north of AL/GA and moving north and west from there. Birds in the Miami area (the east coast of the East Coast) don't have a migration path that comes as far west into the Panhandle as I live, so even in those two cases aren't a fluke caused by humans transporting birds, I'm likely in the clear. Until they come back south in the fall, anyways

I am, but I'm in the FL Panhandle - apart form those two inexplicable cases in Miami-area, the disease has all been north of AL/GA and moving north and west from there. Birds in the Miami area (the east coast of the East Coast) don't have a migration path that comes as far west into the Panhandle as I live, so even in those two cases aren't a fluke caused by humans transporting birds, I'm likely in the clear. Until they come back south in the fall, anyways
Ah, I see. As much as I've looked at those flyways recently, you'd think I'd realize that the entire state of FL isn't in the same one. Here's hoping your birds stay flu free. Thank you for everything you've shared to help us stay as safe as possible.

That reminds me, I need to check the counties involved. I'm mostly curious about it moving inward. I imagine goose season is over here so I wonder if they test droppings from live geese from time to time?

Ah, I see. As much as I've looked at those flyways recently, you'd think I'd realize that the entire state of FL isn't in the same one. Here's hoping your birds stay flu free. Thank you for everything you've shared to help us stay as safe as possible.

That reminds me, I need to check the counties involved. I'm mostly curious about it moving inward. I imagine goose season is over here so I wonder if they test droppings from live geese from time to time?
FL is an "odd" state.
1644625187475.png

Hopefully, someone will put up a map with the AI positive counties marked, I'm sure it would prove instructive - but I'm using a cell phone for internet - its beyond my bandwidth

Yeah my little flock's getting quite stir-crazy as well. They're super upset about being confined still. Surprisingly, the rooster, who basically has only known a life of free-ranging in my yard, seems to be taking it the best out of all of them. My cat slipped into the garage today when I went to take care of the chickens and came face-to-face with the roo...luckily neither one knew what to make of the other so there was no harm done. Good thing because I'm sure the roo would win >>.

Anyway, last I saw NC is still saying to keep poultry secure until the 20th. I keep telling my flock they just have 9 more days but they can't count so they have no idea 9_9.

I was reading yesterday that they are testing samples from these river basins in NC. I don't know how far inland though. I'm in Edgecombe Co so the Tar River is Neuse- Pamlico Basin here. Lots of the samples were taken from hunters (duck season).

Chowan-Roanoke
Neuse-Pamlico
Cape Fear

The samples reported in New Hampshire were live mallards. I didn't see anything about how they were taken.

I was reading yesterday that they are testing samples from these river basins in NC. I don't know how far inland though. I'm in Edgecombe Co so the Tar River is Neuse- Pamlico Basin here. Lots of the samples were taken from hunters (duck season).

Chowan-Roanoke
Neuse-Pamlico
Cape Fear

The samples reported in New Hampshire were live mallards. I didn't see anything about how they were taken.
Any chance you have the link to the information you were reading about this? If not, it's no big deal. I was thinking I'd call my local ag office but I'd rather stay off their radar, as much as possible. It'd be nice to have these geese tested, but I feel like that could paint a large target here if the poop hits the fan. I just need to keep my flocks as safe as possible.

and this map is from Bloomberg, with the USDA data populated in. Seems to be somewhat up to date.

View attachment 2991105
Gah, that one area with confirmed case/s is really really odd, disturbing, and creates so many questions. Seeing it on a map like that makes me feel even more uneasy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom