Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Does anyone know how NC came up with the recommendation to keep birds in for a month? I found an article concerning the survivability of H5N1 in poultry feces at different temperatures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3784916/
They found that at 4C (39.2F) the virus survived for up to 8 weeks. The time dropped to 5 days at 24C (75F), but I know our average temps won't be in the 70s until May. Perhaps those are just optimal conditions in a lab vs exposure to the elements? Or maybe the majority of waterfowl move north within a month? Just wondering...

Any chance you have the link to the information you were reading about this? If not, it's no big deal. I was thinking I'd call my local ag office but I'd rather stay off their radar, as much as possible. It'd be nice to have these geese tested, but I feel like that could paint a large target here if the poop hits the fan. I just need to keep my flocks as safe as possible.

No problem

On page 7 it lists all river basins they are taking samples from and when.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_h...-bird-ai-surveillance-implementation-plan.pdf

Does anyone know how NC came up with the recommendation to keep birds in for a month? I found an article concerning the survivability of H5N1 in poultry feces at different temperatures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3784916/
They found that at 4C (39.2F) the virus survived for up to 8 weeks. The time dropped to 5 days at 24C (75F), but I know our average temps won't be in the 70s until May. Perhaps those are just optimal conditions in a lab vs exposure to the elements? Or maybe the majority of waterfowl move north within a month? Just wondering...
This is a wonderful question! At first I was under the impression that was how long possibly infected birds would be moving through, but I have found that the virus lives for 8 days but I can't remember the temps, so this is a really good question because our temps are all over the place in this flyway. For now, I believe it's just a starting point and they will move the dates if needed. If resident wild birds contract the virus (like my resident Canada geese) we'll probably be in for much longer restrictions while they form and implement a plan to destroy infected birds.

No problem

On page 7 it lists all river basins they are taking samples from and when.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_h...-bird-ai-surveillance-implementation-plan.pdf
Thanks for the reminder of river basins! I was thinking that in spite of living down the street from a migratory bird sanctuary, my flock was at little risk due to keeping them contained and the complete lack of waterfowl on any of the properties on our street. Apparently ducks and geese prefer the bay over our yards, but our old house in a neighborhood less than 10 miles away was constantly visited by ducks🤷‍♀️
My husband is going fishing in NC tomorrow and it just occurred to me that he could bring the virus back on his shoes. Ugg, at least we have a can of Biophene left from when my daughter's horse had strangles. He can spray everything down with that. I may also pick up some new "chicken shoes". He can keep the old ones as "fishing shoes" and keep them out of the coop🤔

It’s all on the APHIS USDA website.

It’s now confirmed in NC & SC, Florida, Maryland, Virginia, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Indiana. — The site was just updated and they added those last 3 States…

— This link will show all the confirmed cases. Which States and which Counties within those States. (Scroll towards the Bottom of the page)
Aphis USDA Focus

You're here on the East Coast too, right ☹️

This is really scary. All of my boys are getting stir crazy being up because of the hawk attack last Saturday. I was thinking about letting them run around some tomorrow while I was outside with them. Even my rooster that was attacked is starting to get stir crazy. I feel like I should rethink this, not because of the hawk, but because of the risk of HPAI, especially since wild Canada Geese walk all around my property looking for me in hopes that I'll feed them. With the geese being asymptomatic carriers, this is so tough. Of course that's what makes this so dangerous. Like I mentioned before, I skipped some tough decisions in the past and it's coming back to bite me now. Here's hoping that things will go back to the normal that we knew 3-4 years ago, very soon!
I used to feed wild birds too. Don’t kick yourself over it, just don’t anymore and they’ll get the hint eventually.

Back
Top Bottom