Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
It seems they could certainly give a little more detail on the hunter-harvested ones.
I'm more curious on the ones that are found dead, instead of the hunter-harvested. I've only noticed 2 that have been listed like that, but I was looking for something particular so I noticed how each sample was collected. The live bird collection seems like it's probably a matter of fecal samples. The snow goose and redhead duck that were collected by wild bird death is what I'm curious about

What irritates me the most is the panic this is driving. I had two birds die in the past three weeks. One was a 10 yr old RSL. She had a stroke (wry neck) and died within 6 hours. The other was a 3 yr old RIR that had been lethargic with a swollen abdomen (ascites) for several months. Last night a Banty laid a shell less egg. I've also had my entire flock come down with a respiratory thing years ago (cured BTW with garlic mayo). I've had chickens get dark purple combs and faces when their hearts started to fail. I didn't race to the local cooperative extension to get anyone tested. Will I race to get my flock tested this time? No. Because chickens die sometimes and the reason isn't a terrible life ending plague.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks these instances of diseases are designed to wipe out our backyard flocks so we can't be independent. Call me paranoid, but when it comes to the gov't, I trust not.

The answer to how long the quarantine lasts completely depends on how long area birds are testing positive. When California was fighting VND, it was a "good while" before Any birds could be brought into the quarrantined areas, including day old chicks shipped from hatcheries. (The exact time frame can likely be found online; I didn't follow the issue That closely.)

There is probably also quarrantine info online from 2015 when Avian Influenza ravaged commercial egg farms. The current outbreak isn't the first, & it won't be the last. I kept tabs on the situations back then as I am doing currently. The issue isn't something to obsess over, but to be aware of and take immediate action if the disease shows up in your area. If such diseases ever occur in my area, I will be able to state Exactly how long quarantine lasted, how many birds died, etc etc.

Personally, if influenza is found near my area, I will be confining my birds until the all-clear is given. My runs and coops are completely wrapped in 1/2" hardware cloth and covered with metal roofing. I did that to protect against against woodland predators, but it will suffice to protect against Avian diseases too. Yeah the hens will be upset for a while over being jailed, but at least they will live. (Hopefully.) Avian Influenza is mostly asymptomatic in wild waterfowl, but has a high death rate in poultry. Meaning if a flock contracts it, yes the entire flock will be depopulated, but many will likely die of the disease anyway.
I remember Newcastle disease and all that went along with that. And the last round of avian influenza. There are always similarities with previous events as well as differences. I also agree that it's nothing to obsess over, but to be aware of and take some extra biosecurity measures, which we are doing.

I mainly wondered if it was mentioned anywhere how long the affected backyard flocks would need to abstain from poultry ownership in this particular situation. In an article I read about the guy in the UK who lost his ducks to AI, it was stated that he wouldn't be allowed to keep ducks again for a year, which would be significantly longer than the virus should be able to live in his environment.

Personally, if influenza is found near my area, I will be confining my birds until the all-clear is given. My runs and coops are completely wrapped in 1/2" hardware cloth and covered with metal roofing. I did that to protect against against woodland predators, but it will suffice to protect against Avian diseases too. Yeah the hens will be upset for a while over being jailed, but at least they will live. (Hopefully.) Avian Influenza is mostly asymptomatic in wild waterfowl, but has a high death rate in poultry. Meaning if a flock contracts it, yes the entire flock will be depopulated, but many will likely die of the disease anyway.
We too have the entire setup encased in chicken wire. But with 6 inches of snow on the ground and temps below zero at night, I couldn't entice my girls to come out even if I wanted them out.

Does anyone know if AI lives in cold temps?

We too have the entire setup encased in chicken wire. But with 6 inches of snow on the ground and temps below zero at night, I couldn't entice my girls to come out even if I wanted them out.

There's a post,way back, that it lives longer at a 32? Than 75f

Influenza A viruses can survive more than a month at freezing temperatures. I've read it can survive even longer in permanently frozen lakes. It can live for 6 days at 98.6°F. Heat and time or extreme heat (that would cause 1st and 2nd degree burns) are some ways to kill h5n1.

Note that that's persistent heat. You would need days (and nights) over the target temperature to rapidly denature it.

I could link different studies, showing that different strains of AI have differing heat responses (though not orders of magnitude different).

Summary of the linked study? The LPAI virus they tested was destroyed in poultry bedding after:

1 day at 26.7C (80F)
and lasted periods of 2-5 days at temps of 21.1C (70F), 15.6C (60F), 10C (50F)

The HPAI strain they tested, however, lasted a day at 43.3C (110F) and 32.2C (90F), needing 2 days at 80, and more days further as the temperature decreased...

I don't know about your weather, but even when I was living outside of Austin, TX, a constant 90+ degree temperature was reserved to just a few months of the year. I'm still expecting overnights in the mid 40s for most of the next week, here in North FL.

Agreed! I've read that this HPAI survives longer than the last HPAI that was in the USA years ago. And the same thing about at constant temps. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that had temps that high constantly. I'm not a fan of our high 70°F's and 40°F at night, but then again this is normal for central NC. A heat wave would be nice (only for HPAI) but it will still take time.
So even after cases of H5N1 in wild birds drastically decreases, I'm guessing there is no sure way to know that you're all clear. Sounds like keeping biosecurity measures in place for a while is something we should consider. Of course it's best to always practice good biosecurity methods, but I'm referring to those enacting more strict measures because of H5N1. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom