Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Agreed! I've read that this HPAI survives longer than the last HPAI that was in the USA years ago. And the same thing about at constant temps. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that had temps that high constantly. I'm not a fan of our high 70°F's and 40°F at night, but then again this is normal for central NC. A heat wave would be nice (only for HPAI) but it will still take time.
So even after cases of H5N1 in wild birds drastically decreases, I'm guessing there is no sure way to know that you're all clear. Sounds like keeping biosecurity measures in place for a while is something we should consider. Of course it's best to always practice good biosecurity methods, but I'm referring to those enacting more strict measures because of H5N1. Thoughts?

For those with the ability, continuing to keep their birds in fenced runs, covered by tarp or other roof surface, away from migrating waterfowl for the foreseeable future seems wise. I had hoped, as detections moved northward, that things might be easing on the more southern locations - but the new reports in the eastern central FL area suggest the migration is ongoing, and thus the whole east coas of the nation remains at risk.

Aditionally, the APHIS choice to report only the first finding in a state makes it hard to judge how widespread this is. Based on that, some might think there have been maybe 8-9 infections. Looking at their two web pages (since they seperate wild and kept fowl), you might think 40 or so known infections. The UN data I linked above showed what, 250+ seperate cases, as of 8 days ago???

How does one assess risk under those conditions??? I can't do it.

My situation is such that there is nothing, practically, I can do - so the decision is out of my hands. Best I can do is try to find data to help others decide for themselves.

Being on the southern end, I feel most danger has passed me by until next winter. I think those on the northern end should be considering the biosecurity, but I don't have proper recommendations.
Don't breathe easy yet, that's a consequence of the way APHIS is reporting, and the news is picking it up. Creates an untrue impression about the movement of this outbreak.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/fwc...-strain-avian-flu/MDERNUEHCBDXJEEBZDQBKILYOI/

https://www.tampabay.com/news/envir...rain-found-in-floridas-wild-birds-state-says/

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/f...of-avian-flu-in-wild-birds-in-central-florida

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/30bcda6

Lesser Scaup. Ok, that's a duck??? Plenty of notices about ducks so far, including the blue-winged teal from Miami-area last month. Waterfowl, got it.

Press release continues [...] "black vultures and other avian species". Wait. WHAT???
Where aren't Vultures???

Last edited:
Don't breathe easy yet, that's a consequence of the way APHIS is reporting, and the news is picking it up. Creates an untrue impression about the movement of this outbreak.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/fwc...al-florida-over-concerns-new-strain-avian-flu

https://www.tampabay.com/news/envir...rain-found-in-floridas-wild-birds-state-says/

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/f...of-avian-flu-in-wild-birds-in-central-florida

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/30bcda6

Lesser Scaup. Ok, that's a duck??? Plenty of notices about ducks so far, including the blue-winged teal from Miami-area last month. Waterfowl, got it.

Press release continues [...] "black vultures and other avian species". Wait. WHAT???
Where aren't Vultures???
Then I'm back to an earlier comment. There's no practical change for me?

BTW, link one ABC9 is 404.

APHIS has at least two definitions of poulty.
One is "Domesticated fowl, including chickens, turkeys, Ostriches, emus, rheas, cassowaries, waterfowl, and game birds, except doves and pigeons, bred to produce eggs or meat."

The other is "Domesticated chickens and turkeys bred to produce eggs or meat."

Probably not relevant but I couldn't resist adding the APHIS definition of "Backyard Flock" in the section on Avian Influenza is "A poultry flock (not including pet birds and commercial breeder birds) on a premises having fewer than the number of birds required to participate in the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) part 56 Control of H5/H7 LPAI program:
-For egg-laying flocks, flocks with fewer than 75,000 birds.
-For meat-type chickens, plants slaughtering fewer than 200,000 birds a week
-For meat-type turkeys, plants slaughtering fewer than 2 million birds a year
-For Commercial Waterfowl and Upland game, plants slaughtering fewer than 50,000 birds a year
- For Raised for Release upland game bird premises, premises releasing fewer than 25,000 birds per year

VS uses this definition for reporting to the OIE and bilateral trading partners. VS makes the final determination of a flock as either commercial or noncommercial/backyard one it examines all flock data."

VS is veterinary service.

Most of the info I am finding has to do with what is required to qualify for being reimbursed for the losses.

The Defend the Flock parts are the exception - they are clearly for everyone with birds.

Last edited:
In the Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) section for when you have HPAI in your poultry flock

"Quarantine
One of the most effective ways to stop HPAI from spreading is to set up a quarantine. Only authorized individuals can come in and out of infected farms that are quarantined. There are various movement restrictions for poultry, poultry products, and equipment from quarantined properties and surrounding areas. These controls on movement may allow some commerce to continue without creating an undue risk for animal health"

Which makes more sense after reading the definitions of the different categories of premises (from a different PDF but also about AI, this on about state response containment plans)

Premises Designations
-Infected Premises. Premises where a presumptive positive case ore confirmed positive case exists based on laboratory results and/or compatible clinical signs. These premises are in the Infected Zone.
-Contact premises: Premises with susceptible animals potentially exposed to AI, either directly or indirectly, including but not limited to exposure to animals, animal products, fomites, or people from Infected Premises. These premises may be in the Infected Zone or the Buffer Zone.
-Suspect Premises: Short-term designation for premises under investigation due to the presence of susceptible animals reported to have laboratory results or clinical signs compatible with AI. These premises may be in any zone or in the free area
-At-Risk Premises: Premises with susceptible animals, but none of those susceptible animal have AI-compatible laboratory results or clinical signs. Premises objectively demonstrates (via flock testing or epidemiological investigation). These premises may be in the Infected Zone or Buffer Zone.
-Monitored Premises: Premises objectively demonstrates that it is not an Infected Premises, Contact Premises or Suspect Premises (via flock testing or epidemiological investigation). Only At-Risk Premises are eligible to become Monitored Premises. Monitored Premises meet a set of defined criteria in seeking to move susceptible animals or products out of the Control Area. These premises may in the Surveillance Zone or Free Area."

These is NOT necessarily the definitions used by any other entity.

This particular section specifies H5/H7 but gives an idea what may be used for other variants of highly contagious bird flu.

Again,
Most of the info I am finding has to do with what is required to qualify for being reimbursed for the losses.

The Defend the Flock parts are the exception - they are clearly for everyone with birds.

There may be some "stick" somewhere else but most of this appears to be "carrot" - not like anyone is coming for our few birds.

And the HPAI elimination pdf says what and how to clean
and
"After cleaning and disinfection, you site must stay empty for at least 21 days. During this time, animal health officials will return to collect environmental samples from different areas of your farm. These samples will be tested for HPAI to ensure the virus has been eliminated... Test results typically take 2-8 days for you to receive them."

Again, it seems to have more to do with getting reimbursed for the costs of the clean up than with anything really strong-armed.

It also gives us an idea what we might do before getting more chickens if our precautions fail.

I kept saying it doesn't seem to apply it us but I think we shouldn't totally ignore it. The more we-all can be clearly not part of the problem; the less likely anyone will feel we should be regulated. I would really not want to get the kind of restrictions Britain has.

I don't think we need to do everything that can be done. But maybe we can do the most basic things.

For me, that is keeping a pair of shoes (or shoe covers) in the coop to slip into when I enter the coop.

I think that is enough for chicken sitters. Maybe also asking them to wash their hands too, if they have their own birds.

Back
Top Bottom