Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
And the HPAI elimination pdf says what and how to clean
and
"After cleaning and disinfection, you site must stay empty for at least 21 days. During this time, animal health officials will return to collect environmental samples from different areas of your farm. These samples will be tested for HPAI to ensure the virus has been eliminated... Test results typically take 2-8 days for you to receive them."

Again, it seems to have more to do with getting reimbursed for the costs of the clean up than with anything really strong-armed.

It also gives us an idea what we might do before getting more chickens if our precautions fail.
All very helpful information. Thank you so much for sharing your findings. :thumbsup

Could someone explain/summarize the last few posts in simpler terms? Please & thank you!
I think this is the main point:

Most of the info I am finding has to do with what is required to qualify for being reimbursed for the losses.

The Defend the Flock parts are the exception - they are clearly for everyone with birds.

For the rest, I see:
--definitions of "poultry" and "backyard flock" (that are not the way anyone else uses the words)
--details of quarantine (for infected flocks/premises)
--a little bit about how long a commercial chicken-raised must go without chickens (21 days, then run tests to see if the germs are gone.)

What irritates me the most is the panic this is driving. I had two birds die in the past three weeks. One was a 10 yr old RSL. She had a stroke (wry neck) and died within 6 hours. The other was a 3 yr old RIR that had been lethargic with a swollen abdomen (ascites) for several months. Last night a Banty laid a shell less egg. I've also had my entire flock come down with a respiratory thing years ago (cured BTW with garlic mayo). I've had chickens get dark purple combs and faces when their hearts started to fail. I didn't race to the local cooperative extension to get anyone tested. Will I race to get my flock tested this time? No. Because chickens die sometimes and the reason isn't a terrible life ending plague.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks these instances of diseases are designed to wipe out our backyard flocks so we can't be independent. Call me paranoid, but when it comes to the gov't, I trust not.
There's a saying here among anyone with captive animals, wild or domestic: "Stay Away from the USDA". Because, they do not like privately owned animals, especially birds, especially backyard chicken flocks. They consider backyard flocks a huge source of disease. Personally, I think it's the other way around...it's the commercial flocks living in cramped quarters that are the problem, and that's where it spreads fastest.

However, this strain of flu is said to kill quickly....sooo..if you have several birds dying over a short period of time, probably the ethical thing to do is to report it and have one of your dead birds tested. Praying for us all.....

For the rest, I see:
--definitions of "poultry" and "backyard flock" (that are not the way anyone else uses the words)
--a little bit about how long a commercial chicken-raised must go without chickens (21 days, then run tests to see if the germs are gone.)
Yes.
Except the 21 days start at the end of the cleaning rather than when the birds are gone.

I have been searching and haven't found how long the quarantine lasts. We have egg contracts we would be failing to fulfill if a situation like this were to occur and customers may stick around through a 2-4 week break, but would likely find other sources if it dragged on too much longer than that.

I did wonder as I placed my 2-ton order of poultry feed this week, what we would do with the feed and to cover that cost if we lost our birds and were not permitted to replace any of them.

Does your business have insurance?

What irritates me the most is the panic this is driving. I had two birds die in the past three weeks. One was a 10 yr old RSL. She had a stroke (wry neck) and died within 6 hours. The other was a 3 yr old RIR that had been lethargic with a swollen abdomen (ascites) for several months. Last night a Banty laid a shell less egg. I've also had my entire flock come down with a respiratory thing years ago (cured BTW with garlic mayo). I've had chickens get dark purple combs and faces when their hearts started to fail. I didn't race to the local cooperative extension to get anyone tested. Will I race to get my flock tested this time? No. Because chickens die sometimes and the reason isn't a terrible life ending plague.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks these instances of diseases are designed to wipe out our backyard flocks so we can't be independent. Call me paranoid, but when it comes to the gov't, I trust not.
Someone here recommended to me..the name escapes me dammit.Something about spotted equines...
Anyways, I was having issues with a couple of roosters who were young but they weren't fertilizing any of our eggs...this person recommended for me to get hemlock,dessicated tale of a newt(don't ask me where I got it from thank you Ebay) and scrape some cream off of a toad in mating season, two cups of water boil and reduce down to a paste and give it to my roosters at midnight on a full moon. Damn it, I'm telling you; month-and-a-half later my incubators were popping like Orville Redenbacher microwave bags.

Last edited:
Someone here recommended to me..the name escapes me dammit.Something about spotted equines...
Anyways, I was having issues with a couple of roosters who were young but they weren't fertilizing any of our eggs...this person recommended for me to get hemlock,dessicated tale of a newt(don't ask me where I got it from thank you Ebay) and scrape some cream off of a toad in mating season, two cups of water boil and reduce down to a paste and give it to my roosters at midnight on a full moon. Damn it, I'm telling you; month-and-a-half later my incubators were popping like Orville Redenbacher microwave bags.
I think this might have been misdirected to the wrong thread?

For the rest, I see:
Thank you @NatJ . Technical jargon makes my head spin!

Back
Top Bottom